14 | biological warfare

chapter fourteen
BIOLOGICAL WARFARE
"you're my armor, i am your defeat."

Absolute destruction

Dismembered limbs, loose wires, fried metal parts, burned corpses, and skeletons.

The thick smell of ash and smoke filled their noses as a search party of delinquents trudged through the debris and soot.

"Clarke shouldn't be out here." Finn muttered, eyes locked on Clarke who wandered the site.

"Her mom was on the ship." Raven pointed out, "She's looking for answers."

Finn looked as if he was about to go to her, but Raven stopped him, "You want to help her, find me the black box, hard drives, anything that will explain why the ship crashed."

Evelynn found herself walking to Clarke. Surely she wanted to be alone, but Evelynn wanted to help. Abby was like a second mother to Evelynn and she knew how much she meant to Clarke.

Evelynn walked up behind her and placed her hands on her shoulders to steer her away from the scorched rib cage that Clarke's wide eyes were staring at.

Clarke shrugged Evelynn's hands off of her and snapped around, "Leave me alone."

Evelynn made a vain attempt at comfort, stepping towards her friend, "Please—" Clarke shoved her back in the chest, causing her to stumble.

"Just because your mom died too doesn't mean you can help."

Clarke sniffed back tears and spun on her heel to travel deeper into the debris. Evelynn stood rooted to the spot. She didn't blame Clarke for lashing out. Her mom just died.

Evelynn knew the feeling all too well.

But, she felt like she was reliving her mom's death all over again, Clarke reminding her of her demise.

Raven and Finn were quickly at her side, Raven first to speak, her face confronted from pained confusion, words spilling, "Sophia—your mom—she's dead? But I thought...I mean you said—"

"I'm sorry," Evelynn said softly, unable to explain herself, "I lied. She died two years ago."

"Oh my god." Raven moved her hand to cover her mouth, in complete shock. Finn gave Evelynn a look of wild confusion and slight anger. She didn't blame him though. She messed up.

Surprising her, Raven took a step towards Evelynn, arms outstretched, enveloping her in a hug, "I'm sorry, your mom was an amazing person."

When they released each other, Evelynn quickly stepped past them trying avoid Finn's baffled gaze and Raven's look of pity, her boots leaving prints in the grey ash at her feet. Her heart squeezed painfully at Raven's words. Her mother was an amazing person. Was. It hurt all over again. Sweeping numbness flooded her system as she made her way closer to the untouched forest back to camp.