1 | the ground

chapter one
THE GROUND
"we're the beginning of the end."

622 days

622 days.

Evelynn's once empty floor was now covered in tally marks, one for each day she was trapped into her skybox from hell.

The lone resident of Skybox 72.

The only human contact she had were two emotional and heavily guarded check-ups with Abby and with the guards who brought her rations.

The guards who brought her food sometimes would stay and chat with her, telling her stories of the other kids in the various skyboxes.

She would try to imagine what they looked like or what their lives were like based off of their crimes. From stealing to murder, every story interested her, longing for more than what her life had become.

Evelynn woke up on September 13th feeling any emotion except the ones someone would usually feel on their eighteenth birthday. For most, their eighteenth meant they gained their freedom. For her, it meant the death sentence.

She was wearing the dark red shirt Clarke gave her all those years ago. She rubbed her fingers over the crimson fabric trying to remember those good times before she was locked up.

She sat in the middle of her floor listening to her music box, all the songs vividly burned into her memory.

She felt time tick by as she patiently waited for death. To her knowledge, the council already reviewed her case, judged her, and determined that she was too dangerous to let be free, instead deciding to throw her into the black abyss of space to have the air sucked out of her body.

It was super rare that anyone was ever set free on the Ark after serving time in the skybox. And Evelynn knew her story was not going to be a rare one.

Evelynn barely had time to think before her skybox doors were being thrown open.

Two guards entered abruptly, both tall and intimidating. They weren't the same guards who brought her food and conversation, but she assumed it was normal since she wasn't getting food today.

They both surrounded her and pulled her off the floor sharply, "Prisoner three-oh-nine, face the wall,"

Evelynn complied, she already accepted her fate years ago.

Their voices were urgent and loud which threw her off, "Hold out your arm."

She turned around to see them holding out some odd-looking bracelet they held out to her. That was not normal. She shook her head, "Tell me what it's for first."

Neither of the guards spoke, their cold, unyielding eyes staring her down.

She turned her attention way from the guards and the funky bracelet as she heard shouts coming from outside her door. She pushed past the guards and ran to the door to see dozens of other guards pulling all of the other delinquents out of their cells.