3 | screw you

chapter three
SCREW YOU
"i'd rather be causing the chaos than laying at the sharp end of this knife."

"You wanted to go first, now quit stalling," Clarke yelled up to Finn, "Mount Weather awaits,"

Finn tugged on a large branch to test his weight on it. He stared across the river they had to cross in anxious anticipation.

Jasper stood next to him, cheering him on. "Just hang on 'til the apogee and you'll be fine."

Finn continued to stall, "Apogee. Like the Indians, right?"

Jasper furrowed his brows, "Apogee. Not Apache."

Clarke clicked her tongue impatiently, "He knows. Today, Finn."

Finn smiled and gave her a mock salute, "Aye, aye, Captain." He turned to Jasper a smile plastered on his face, "See you on the other side."

Finn stopped right before jumping, testing the branch again. Stalling some more, presumably.

Evelynn let out a dramatic, exasperated sigh, "Finn, if you don't hurry up I am going to die of starvation before you ever make it to the other side."

Finn let go of the branch and looked down at Evelynn with a grin, "You're pretty antsy for someone who's on the verge of death."

Evelynn groaned, arms crossed and pouting, "Death, Finn! I am dying! And if you don't cross that river right now I will burst!"

"You're not going to burst kiddo, calm down."

Evelynn just stuck her tongue out at him to which he copied her and stuck his out too.

"Now stop fighting children," Monty said, "Or else I'll have to send you both to time-out."

The six friends burst out in laughter. Letting the laughter fill him with courage, Finn readied himself to make the jump. But Jasper held his arm out in front of Finn at the last second, "Wait."

"What?"

Jasper let his gaze fall to Octavia who was watching the boys admirably from below. "Let me, I can do it."

Finn smiled at him knowingly, patting Jasper on the back, "I knew there was a badass in there somewhere."

Jasper grabbed the branch and bounced a bit, testing its strength. Evelynn smiled as she watched Jasper practically vibrate from the adrenaline.

Jasper faced his jump, his face sobering in fear. Finn spoke, "Hey, it's okay to be afraid Jasper, the trick is not fighting it."

Jasper nodded, adjusting his grip of the branch, his feet nervously shuffling side to side. "See you on the other side." Then he jumped.

Jasper swung through the air, over their heads. Evelynn yelled in excitement, "Yeah Jasper!" He was screaming as he let go of the branch. He made it to the other side, a bit of a rough landing, but he made it.