Chapter 16: Friends

You sneaked at the door with Kofuku and Daikoku, watching Yato and Yukine speak. "What is that all about?"

"Why are they acting so serious?" Daikoku asked in curiosity.

"Yato, I need to talk to you." Yukine started.

"A-About what?" Yato stuttered, hiding his nervousness from the heavy atmosphere.

"Do you think Yuki finally had it with Yato-chan?" Kofuku added with her large teary eyes.

Daikoku patted her. "Don't cry Kofuku. It's Yato's fault. It's his fault entirely"

'Yato really has a bad reputation, doesn't he?' You thought while feeling pity for the delivery god.

"I..." Yukine continued.

"I?" Yato repeated, anxiously waiting for his next words.

"I... m-made..." He said while blushing and looking at his knees. "... a friend!"

You fell to the floor, expecting something more serious while Yato and Daikoku just stared at him. "T-That's it?"

"That's so cute!" Kofuku squealed.

You went towards them and wrapped your arms around Yukine's shoulder. "Congratulations, Yukine-kun~ Take good care of your friend, ok?" You patted his head as you dramatically remembered some of your memories. "Ah~ It brings me back to those days I first made a friend."

"You don't even have friends." Yato interrupted your daydreaming.

You glared at him. "Shut up, sweaty tracksuit god!"

"How many times should I tell you not to call me by that name?!" The two of you started to argue as Yukine just left the room.

Some time later...

"Rend!" You sliced the snake like ayakashi and landed on top of a car. "You're getting better at this, Riku."

Riku turned back to his human form at the mention of his name. "I just got used to it."

"Heh~ Look who's being humble." You giggled as you started walking with him. "Oh! By the way, Yukine-kun had made friends with another shinki!"

"Friends? Hmmm? Good for him." He said in a bored tone.

"What about you? I don't see you hanging out with anyone." You pouted at him. "And you're always so cold to Reo. You're not even friends with Yukine-kun."

"I don't plan on making friends with anyone and why did you even thought of Reo befriending me?"

"Well, you see... aren't you lonely?" You turned to him staring at his dark red eyes with your (e/c) ones. "I mean you're a great shinki and all. You never did blight me even once, followed all of my orders, and behave like a proper shinki does."

"Do you need something?! Why are you suddenly praising me?!" Riku backed away from you with a blush on his face.

"Oh come on! You're exaggerating!" You puffed your cheeks at him. "I just want you to socialize with other people~"

"Huh? Why would I- Oi!"

"Can I just stay here for a while? Just call me when you need something!" You waved your hand to him as you entered a manga cafe.

Riku sighed to his self. "Ughh. She's hopeless." He stared at the sky and thought about your suggestion earlier. 'I don't need friends when I still have to watch over you, (y/n).'