Chapter 24: Masks

"Caused trouble again, didn't he?" You asked as you watched the others outside from the second floor window. "What did that idiot did this time?"

Yato was tied upside down on a tree and being scolded by Yukine. Tenjin and his shinki, Mayu, is also present at the scene.

"I heard from downstairs that he performed a Divine Possession. Do you know what that is?" Riku asked while playing on his cellphone again.

You sighed. "That explains why Hiyori-chan's arm is like that. Yato possessed her body."

"Divine Possession, huh? So, you can do that too?" He looked away from his phone and shifted his eyes to you.

"I could if I want to. I just don't feel like it. Well, maybe I could troll while in Reo's body but I doubt he would hesitate to kick his own body just to get it back. Not that I couldn't dodge it though. I just can't see what's the point of it." You explained which made Riku dumbstruck.

"You're capable to think that way too? That's new." He said, pretending to be amazed.

You threw the nearest thing you can grab at him which is a comic book. "What do you think of me?! A troublesome kid?!"

"Speaking of a kid, I heard from Yukine that he's planning to ask Kazuma-san to teach him more invocations." He said while rubbing his nose where you hit him.

"Interested, eh?" You raised a brow. "I was thinking the same thing. Though I thought someone can teach you more invocations than Kazuma. Well, I guess Kazuma would be a better mentor."

"You're talking about Sorata, right?" Riku asked, noticing that you grew anxious after hearing his name. "Don't be stupid. I told you I'll trust you more now, right? In fact, I actually want to hear how come he ended up betraying you and joining the Sorcerer."

You shrugged, not really wanting to talk about it for now. "Truthfully, when the time came that the Sorcerer got us under his control, I didn't have the chance to know his exact thoughts. So, I don't really know what he is planning at the time. He became excellent at deceiving others including his self."

"So then, does that mean he doesn't actually know what he is doing?" Riku tilted his head in curiosity.

You shook your head. "I doubt that. He would have stung me if he even felt guilty. Sorata thinks it's just right for me to stay with the Sorcerer and slay people as a god of death."

"Shinkis like him and Kugaha actually exists, huh?" He wondered. "Why didn't you get rid of him despite of knowing that?"

"Is this an interview?" You raised a brow again then sighed before answering. "Fine. I thought he would see that I could live without depending on fame. Looks like it didn't worked though." A sad smile formed on your lips as you gazed at the setting sun. "He used to be like you before."

"I see." Riku watched your (h/c) hair as the wind blows. 'And to think he'd threw her away just like that...'

A few days later...

You and Riku just came home from your work in the convenience store when Yato greeted you with a wide grin on his face.

He gently held the shrine Hiyori made for him a few days ago. He brings it with him wherever he goes around the house, saying he can soon go to Takamagahara too. "Yo, (y/n)! Guess what!"

"I'd rather not." You walked pass him, thinking whether the latest episode of (f/a) was finally released.

"Oh come on~! This is important!" Yato pouted as you were about to climb upstairs. "I got a lot in Takamagahara now, you know!"