Chapter Two

"The arrival of Lady Mae Gregory to the Montemogry palace" the guard announced after the trumpets were sounded. Mae steps out of the carriage with the help of a guard. King Alexander along with his mother and sister where out ready to welcome her.

Mae curtsied before Alexander "My lord" She greets "Lady Mae, it is a pleasure to have you here" Alexander said as a slight blush crept onto her face.
     Mae turned towards Lady Regina who surprised her. She threw her arms around Mae in a motherly hug.
"oh stop this nonsense child, call me mother after all I'm to be your mother-in-law. No need for formalities" Lady Regina said.
Mae blinked in utter surprise. She wasn't expecting Lady Regina to be so kind and loving.  "mo--other?" she stammered to herself. It had been a while since she said that word.
          After the introduction, Alexander announced that he had somewhere to be with the knights. Mae felt hurt, he hadn't even been with her for long and now he's leaving. Lady Regina noticed Mae's inner turmoil "He just has so many things to do my dear," she said to Mae with an apologetic smile. "sure, I understand Mother" Mae said brushing off invisible specks of dirt from her dress.

It was midday and Alexander wasn't back from wherever he wandered off to. Lady Regina had excused herself intending to give Ruby and Mae a private time to bond with each other.
Although Mae had been slightly older than the eighteen-year-old Ruby, they got along perfectly. It warmed Lady Regina's heart to see them together.

    "you look rather young for a twenty-year-old" Ruby said to Mae which made her chuckle. "I thought I was older" she added with a pout. This threw Mae totally off the cliff with laughter. "if I were younger, your brother wouldn't have asked to marry me now. Would he?" she replied Ruby after she attempted to calm her laughter.
Ruby thought about it before turning red in utter embracement over her poor thinking. Mae's lips perked up as another wave of laughter hit her on seeing the red Ruby before her.

           The two girls had spent so much time talking, they didn't realize that darkness had slowly crept into the sky. Lady Regina interrupted their conversation when she requested them to join her for dinner.
The dining hall was so exquisite with various dishes, fruits, and desserts. Mae looked on with wide eyes. Yes, she was the daughter of a lord but even lords have an extent to their wealth.
  Dinner was amazing as everyone ate in silence. Mae couldn't stop wishing Alexander had been here. Those blue eyes kept flashing in her head. What had he done to her?
"Thank you Mother for the meal," Mae said after devouring her food. Lady Regina gave a nod. She was extremely pleased with Mae's manners.
___________________________

        After dinner,  lady Regina showed Mae to her chamber. She wouldn't be in the same chamber as Alexander. That would be considered inappropriate until after the wedding.
Regina retired to her room for the night while Ruby and Mae were on the balcony having a few talks.
  Hours passed and Ruby also retired to bed and Alexander still hadn't come home.
.
.
    " What to do with me now," I thought out loud. I went to my chamber and took a book I had brought with me. I had intentions of staying awake till Alexander came home. Sitting on the balcony I opened my book.
  "I can't even get over his eyes," I said giving off a frustrated sigh.  Those perfectly beautiful pair of blue eyes were all I could think about. Oh and his perfectly sculpted face, his plump, pink lips that were just soooo. . . . . I let out a dreamy sigh. The rumors did him no justice, He was more gorgeous in person than they said. He stood so tall and proud dressed in black. I'm sure hugging him will feel like heaven. My thoughts made heat creep to my cheeks.
   The sound of doors opening snapped me out of my thoughts.  He was finally home. I get to glimpse at Mr perfect before falling asleep.