Chapter Eighteen

"Alexander will you have breakfast with us?" peeping into the study I asked my husband.

"No" came his abrupt reply.
Wow someone has been really grumpy lately.

"uhm okay then, I'll just leave yours for later" I said before leaving.

Alexander has been really grumpy since this month began and I don't have the slightest idea what's wrong.
I thought his mood swings were a result of his flux but then I gave myself a mental beating at my poor reasoning, - his a male.

He totally ignores everyone when he's at the castle and has gotten a lot harsher to the servants. He's so bipolar I wonder how I've been living with him.

Mother and Ruby seem unfazed by his recent behavior, mother even said she was scared when her son turned all kind and loving, she thought he was about to die.
Oh dear Proteus, we laughed so hard that day.

I was at the garden when a servant approached me with a message

"my lady, lord Hamilton said to inform you that lady Cathindra is expecting a child" he said

"child!" I exclaimed. "Cathindra is with child already?"

"yes my lady" the servant replied before bowing and retreating.

Rushing into the foyer, I inform mother and Ruby who were both overly excited although I didn't miss the saddened look in mother's eyes, I felt my heart clench at the sight of pain in her eyes. I knew why mother felt that way, I wanted to take that sadness away from her but I just couldn't.

I rode off to Hamilton's home to see a glowing Cathindra. She was so full of joy
Not to talk of Brad, his eyes shone with satisfaction each time he glanced at his wife.
I'd give anything to have Alexander look at me that way.
Although the baby bump wasn't visible, her hands kept moving down to her flat tummy.
I was genuinely happy for my friend.

The sun had begun setting and I needed to head back to the castle.
On my way to where the carriage was, I encountered the flawless skinned girl, lady Sutton Rahl.

"Mae"
her voice holding so much distaste.

Oh I see she now addresses me by my name
I thought to myself

"how's Alexander, I haven't seen him in a while" she said.

"he's perfectly fine" I replied walking away. I hated how insecure she made me feel
"I can't seem to understand why you address my husband that way" I questioned

"well, we were to be married before you came along I don't see why I shouldn't"
She batted her lashes in fake innocence.

"Things change Sutton, you should know that by now" my words conveyed my emotions clearly.

"change?" she laughed.
"you're a simple pledge who can't even give him an heir" jealousy slipped through her tone

Her words were a slap to me. I never knew she had considered me a rival.

"my husband and I have settled our past differences, I think you should too" I held a stoic expression as I emphasized my point.

"oh well then" she shrugged
"I guess you're not aware of the intimate moment we had when he visited my estate"

Wait what? Alexander wouldn't do that would he?.
Of course he would. I was so foolish to think he'd want me.

Pushing past her, I hurried into the carriage, Alexander was so going to get it when I get home.
_____________________________

"Alexander how could you " I stumped into our chamber

"what is it now Mae?" he said lazily

"you weren't going to ever tell me right? And you're here acting all grumpy"
My anger rising with each word

"I have no idea what you're talking about"
His words muffled by the pillow

"your intimate session with Sutton!" I spat angrily.

He physically stiffened but his face remained expressionless.
"it was just a kiss, no need to overreact"

How could he say that? He felt no guilt or shame.

"oh, so I could go around sharing kisses like you?" I asked only to be replied by silence.

"Alexander I'm talking to you!" I demanded walking to where he lay.

"Ryha don't start" he rose and moved away from me.

"dear heavens!!!! Alexander my name is Mae and not Ryha" I yelled. All human reasoning left me and I saw red.
"who is Ryha?? It's not the first time you're calling for her, who is she?"

"Mae I don't want to argue today, save this for later" his tone so calm and unconcerned.

"who is she Alexander!" I demanded

"ughhhh" he gave off a frustrated sigh

"THE LOVE OF MY LIFE!!! SHE'S THE LOVE OF MY ENTIRE BEING." he snapped at me

"there, I've told you now let me be" those beautiful blue eyes turn a darker shade.

My heart clenched on hearing those words. He loved someone that wasn't me. Tears threatened to fall down my eyes as I hurriedly walked past him.

"Where are you going?" his eyes softened as he bore holes into me.

"Away from you" I banged the door shut behind me.