Chapter Seventeen

The Rahl Estate.

"Sutton I see you've been getting closer to the king" lord Rahl said as they ate breakfast.

"yes father we are making progress in a way" she replied shortly

"what do you mean by progress"
he wasn't expecting that sort of reply.

"give her sometime, I'm sure she's trying her best" lady Margaret butts in

"don't give me that excuse Margaret" he yelled "this was all your fault, if you hadn't taken her away she would be queen by now"

"how would we know he would get married before our return? This is also your fault" Margret states.

"mother please leave it" Sutton said.
"father I know how much this means to you, I wouldn't fail you I promise" she said turning to her father.

"very well then, it's good to know you still have your senses." he said

Lord Rahl always wanted a link to the throne and that link would be his daughter Sutton. She was to be the wife of Alexander or so they thought before Mae was betrothed to him.
That still wouldn't stop the ambitious man form getting his desires.

"my lord" a servant spoke
"A messenger just arrived with news from the castle. The king would arrive at the estate by midday". He informed before leaving their presence.

"Proteus has given you a chance Sutton, make good use of it" lord Rahl said before walking away.

The king arrived at the estate as expected, his reason for coming was to inspect the damages caused by the war. A lot of houses had been destroyed.
After over viewing the plans for the constructions and ascertaining its cost, he gave a speech of hope to the people under Rahl's care promising to give back whatever had been lost.

The king hurried towards his horse when the meeting with lord Rahl had ended. He was exhausted and needed to rest.

"Alexander" Sutton called out to him
She was dressed in a simple wear but still looked so exquisite and attractive.

"yes" his gruff voice replied.

"could we talk for sometime?" this question earned a narrowed look from the exhausted king

"please my lord, ever since I arrived you've been rather distant" she pleaded

Giving off a sigh, the king eventually agreed to it.
They rode off towards a beautiful clearing where they sat and had a picnic.
She succeeded in making Alexander laugh a few times and he started loosening up to her.

"believe me, life over there was so different" Sutton said as both their laughter dies down.

"why did you leave?" Alexander suddenly asks.

"well mother didn't want to leave alone so she had me go along with her" she said giving off a breath.

"hmm" his response came shortly after.

"I missed you, not a day went by that I didn't think about you Ale- -"
Her sentence long forgotten as the King's warm lips claimed hers and she willingly gave into the kiss.

A flash of hazel eyes snap him out of whatever spell he had fallen into as he abruptly pulled away from her.
He stood up briskly and made his way out the clearing.

" Alexander wait" Sutton rushes after him making him halt.

Her hands move up to his face so he could look at her " that kiss was- -"

"nothing, it was nothing Sutton" Alexander pointedly stated, his face oblivious to any expression.

"nothing?" she inquired rolling her eyes "Alexander we had something when we were children"

"you're right, we had something when we were children, now we're adults" not waiting for her reply, he starts walking away.

"ugh Alex I was to be your queen" frustration clear in her words.

" where you? I don't remember asking your hand in marriage" his harsh reply rendered her speechless as he rode away on his horse.

Sutton arrived back at the estate to see her mother and father seated at the garden.

"how did it go my dear?" lady Margaret asked.
She wasn't in total support of what her husband wanted but she couldn't go against his wishes.

"not so good mother" her shoulders sagging at her reply.

"you're such a failure" lord Rahl spat in disgust.

" father I'm sorry, I - I did try, w-we even shared a kiss" she rambled in fear.

"you shared a kiss?" a sinister smile spreads across his face

"yes father" she replied avoiding his gaze.

"Well I think our dear king might be easier to get after all"
lord Rahl said in utter mischief.