Chapter Thirteen

Alexander had sustained an awful injury when an arrow shot through his side a few days before the war ended. No one knew it was poisoned.
The court physician arrived shortly after a messenger was sent to him. The king, who was kept in a different chamber where the physician would attend to him lay unmoving as blood slipped through the infected wound.

Ruby like always wasn't at the castle when the king arrived bloodied. She arrived few minutes later to see such a sight and wouldn't stop crying at her brother's state.
Mother was so broken she stayed frozen where she sat. The three waited anxiously on the report from the physician.

After an hour or so, the physician finally exited the room which held the king.
"his health is stable at the moment, just let him have much rest and take the medications I'll send he should be okay"
A pitiful expression crossed his face.

Mae accompanied him to the castle gates while Regina and Ruby went in to see Alexander.
A servant was sent to go with the physician and bring back the medications for the King.
____________________________

The sun had already set and evening had gone by, darkness crept its way into the sky. Grief clouded the castle and a mournful silence lingered in the air.
Mae had taken over watching Alexander from mother and Ruby.
She felt pity for both mother and daughter, Alexander has been their only pillar of strength since the passing of king Montemogry. She could feel their pain as she sat beside his bedside watching the shallow rise and fall of his chest.
At least he was still alive.

Alexander's hold on Mae's hand tightened causing her jolt awake. She had fallen asleep while watching him.

"I'm here" her fingers trailed down his jaw easing the frown on his face as he relaxes in his sleep.

"Rh-hya" his weak voice echoed in the room.
"Rhya"
he called out again weakly.

Mae had no idea who that was but she was sure that was one of her husband's whores.
She was so hurt. Even in his ill state, he still wanted another. Her thoughts wondered to the night they consummated the marriage she was right, he only consummated it because he knew he would be going off to war the next day and had slim chances of coming back alive.
She rose with a heavy heart to leave the room as the air was suddenly suffocating, she couldn't be here when he didn't want her.

"Mae please stay"
His eyes fluttered open, he had finally woken.
The happiness in her heart overshadowed the hurt she felt few minutes ago.
"Alexander!!!" she exclaimed rushing to meet him where he lay. "I thought I lost you"

"I told you I'll be back" he said placing a kiss on her head.
"Mae I'm sorry for scaring you, I really didn't want to put you through this"

"shhh, I forgive you. Just don't do it again"
Her voice held so much love.

"where's mother and Ruby?" his hoarse voice filled the room.

"mother is at her chamber and Ruby went to offer prayers for you at the temple"
She said pulling away from his embrace.