Chapter Eight

"what if the council rejects your petition, what will happen to us?" the ravened hair girl asked as her face saddened
"we would still be together, forever eternity my dear" Axion replied
.
.
.

Alexander rolled over as light flickered through the windows to the bed he lay on. His hands unconsciously searched the space beside him where his wife was supposed to be asleep.
He groaned as a slight ache danced through his body where he lay and his eyes fluttered open.
"Mae!" he called out, only to be greeted with silence. There was no sign of his wife in their chamber.
A knock on the door turned the king's attention to its source.
"yes?" he questioned, the door opened as a servant stepped into the room.
"sire" he greeted with a bow.
"what is it?" Alexander's tone was full of agitation. He was trying to figure out where his wife had wandered off to.
"my lord, the queen is at the courtyard requesting the castle gates to be opened," the servant whose heartbeat was rather too rapid said.
King Alexander's ears perked up upon hearing this.
"Did she state her destination?" he inquired
"I'm afraid not to me sire, but Lady Regina and Lady Ruby are speaking with her" the servant answered.
The king was silent for a while, he wondered where Mae would want to rush off to this early.
"she's with a luggage?" he asked the servant whose gaze was fixed on the floor.
"yes my lord, it's in the carriage already," he said
"and I'm sure she's not aware you're here?" Alexander gave the servant a narrowed look.
"no sir, the queen is not aware I have informed you"
He nodded in understanding. "it seems my wife needs some sort of space " the king thought.
"open the gates" was all he said as the servant bowed before exiting the room.
The king stood from his bed and approached the large window as the morning sunlight shone into the room.
He gazed down at the courtyard to see his wife hugging a crying lady Regina and Ruby.
His mother gives her a peck on the forehead and the guard helps her into the carriage. Before they ride out, Mae's eyes flickered up the huge window where her husband stood on the other side. She places her hand on her aching chest as her carriage sets off.
___________________________________

Alexander had just closed the door to his chamber and started making his way downstairs for breakfast when his mother's voice was heard behind him.
"Alex why did she leave?" she asked her son.
"I have no idea what you're talking about" he shrugged as the guards opened the door to the hall.
"Mae left this morning. What did you say to her?" lady Regina said in a stern voice.
"From what I know you spoke with her last, she was asleep when I got to our chamber last night" The maid had placed breakfast before him.
Not having much of an appetite, he ate very little, his mother watching him with a serious look.
"where did she go to?" he asked unable to hold back his curiosity
"back home to lord Gregory," she said making her son physically relaxed.
"don't worry, she'll be back soon," the king said placing a kiss on his mother's cheek.
He approached the exit "You worry too much" he said.
Lady Regina has always been stunned by her son's stoic nature. He was nothing like his father who wore his expression on his face.