Chapter Nine

It has been a month since I left the castle, since I left my husband, my mother, and Ruby who I considered my friend and sister.
". . . children are products of love and not contracts" his words rang in my head.
To think he considered our marriage nothing more than a sham broke me.
      I used to think we'd tell our children how we met but right now, I honestly doubt Mr perfect and I were on the same page.
My heart ached for the millionth time today, I missed the warmth I felt in his presence, I missed him. I wonder if he even thought of me.

         Papa asked a lot of questions when I arrived, I told him the king had let me spend some time with him and I would return in a short while. I couldn't tell him what had happened, I didn't want him to worry.
     Blue eyes flashed through my mind as I remembered the way he looked at me through the window. I could have sworn I saw him stare at me as my carriage rode off, a part of me wanted him to rush down and stop me from leaving but he didn't. He just watched me leave.
.
.
.
Meanwhile, at the castle, the king had very important issues to think about than his wife who left so suddenly without a simple note.
      Ruby had approached her brother a few times begging him to bring Mae back home as she missed her sister.
Lady Regina on her part was a lost cause. She grieved as if Mae had died or was cursed to die.
           Rumors had gone through the lower kingdom on the queen's absence.
Some said the king had sent her away, others said she had run away with a lover, and others said the queen had died and the royals were keeping it a secret. No one knew the reason why Mae left. Only she knew what she had heard.
________________________________

               The king was in the study at his castle attending to issues concerning the kingdom when his mother came in.
"Son I miss her, go get her back" Her heart clenched in pain as she said this.
   "no mother, she left without my knowledge and she would come back that way" Alexander stated without looking at her as he signed some papers.
   Lady Regina let out a deep breath of air "I know son, but it's been a month and two weeks. Please"
    Alexander was surprised his mother kept track of how long she was absent, she loved Mae.
   He took a look at his mother and saw a pained expression on her face. She truly missed Mae. That girl was like a daughter to her.
      "Alright,"  his voice filled the silence around them.
Much to the king's dismay, he missed his wife. He missed her always flushed face, her smile, and most of all, those boring hazel eyes that lighted up each of his days.

            A knock on the door interrupted the king's moment.
"yes?" lady Regina called out to who had knocked.
    A maid walked into the study where the king and his mother had been.
"my lord, my lady" Giving a quick bow the maid said "The queen's carriage has just arrived. She's at the courtyard with Lady Ruby."
    "Have Anne draw her a bath and food served in the king's chambers "Lady Regina said to the maid who scrambled out of the king's presence.
         Alexander's mother rushed out to meet her daughter-in-law who was now in the foyer with Ruby.
After a quick talk, Mae excused herself setting out to the study where her mother said her husband was.
Rage coursed through her body as she remembered what Grace had told her, what made her come back to the castle.
* * * * * * * * * * *

              I knocked twice on the huge wooden door and entered on hearing his gruff permission. 
    Standing a few inches away from where he sat busy with paperwork I called out to him.    "Alexander"
  "Mae" he acknowledged not looking up from the pile of paper before him.
   "I see you've decided to come home" he added nonchalantly.
"home" I scoffed.  "you didn't seem concerned I left," I said under my breath but Mr Perfect being himself, had somehow heard me.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't know I was expected to" he flipped through his papers before placing the royal seal on it.
    "so it's true then, about your whores in my absence," I said as my anger rose within me.

           Grace had informed me last night while I was with Papa, the rumors flocking the lower town that the king had been with women in my absence.
    "I see you heard a few rumors"
A bored yawn escaped his lips.
  "How could you do that Alexander!?"  the rage in me was at its peak, he had made a mockery of me, - his queen.
     "Mae, I'm a man and I have my needs. I wasn't the one who sent you on your trip was I?" his nonchalant attitude was what infuriated me.
    "I have been here for months Alexander, you didn't seem to have any needs then," I said stomping closer to where he sat.
    "I'm not the one in charge of my desires am I?" his lips curved into a smirk as he said this.
             I angrily banged my hands on his desk but that still did nothing in gaining his attention.
     "I hope the children you bring forth from them would be a product of love and not a contract"
    Alexander's eyes left the pile in front of him as he stared at me. Those beautiful blue eyes darkened in rage.    
      "You eavesdropped on our conversation!!" he yelled at me rising from his seat.
   My feet stayed rooted to the ground as I nodded shamefully.
My earlier rage had left me to face the king's wrath alone.
      "was that why you left?!"  he roared at me.
Still unable to form words, I only nodded.
        "LEAVE!!!!" Alexander ordered his tone cold and hard.
    I didn't need to be told twice as I quickly rushed out of the study, harsh tears running down my eyes.
      I was beyond hurt, I was shattered.