Chapter Ten

Alexander and Mae haven't been on the best terms after the incident at his study.
She couldn't bare to face him and he just wanted to let her be.
Of course lady Regina had noticed the slight change in their relationship but this time, she decided against meddling in their affairs. She would let them sort it out themselves.
It was midday, Ruby and Mae had gone to the lower town for some fresh air. The queen had also gone with the intentions of putting an end to the rumours flocking the city.
While at their day out, they encountered Cathindra one of Ruby's friends.
Lady Cathindra, the daughter of lord Othello and lady Natasha. Her father had passed away a few years back while her mother was bed ridden leaving her brother - lord Hillary Othello to cater for the affairs of the estate.
"my lady, it's an honour to meet you" Cathindra curtsied before the queen
" oh please don't, just call me Mae" queen Mae said "I could really use more friends" a smile appeared on her lips.
Mae and Ruby where invited to the Othello's estate to bond over a cup of tea with snacks.

Back at the castle, King Alexander arrived early home to have a talk with his wife. He was sick and tired of the silent treatment.
Upon his arrival, he finds out Mae was not at home. Laying on the bed, he traced the outlines of one of her books. He could never understand what she fancied about plain old books. His thoughts were cut short by the abrupt sounds of the trumpets announcing the arrival of a lord.
Alexander hadn't been expecting anyone, his wife and sister where not at the castle and his mother would have redecorated if she were expecting visitors.
"Sire" a guard called from outside his chambers. "lady Sutton Rahl has arrived and is requesting to see you"
"I'll be there shortly" Alexander said.

Lady Sutton Rahl, the daughter of Lord Rahl and lady Margaret. She was indeed a pristine lady.
Alexander and Sutton had been quite fond of each other while growing up, everyone expected their friendship to bloom into marriage later on.
A few years back, lady Margaret left the kingdom with Sutton to go abroad leaving behind her husband and son.
Nothing had been heard of them that is until today.
Walking curtly towards the foyer where Lady Sutton had been waiting, Alexander gave out a sigh.
"Alexander!" she exclaimed as he walked in through the open doors. She engulfed him in a hug, hands wrapped around him tightly.
The king however did not reciprocate this gesture.
"I rushed to see you immediately I got home" a beautiful smile appeared on her lips.
She was indeed beautiful with a pale flawless skin, golden blond hair and grey eyes which radiated her beauty.

"how are Ruby and Mother?" she said taking in Alexander's large figure.

"mother is in her chamber and Ruby went visiting the town with my wife" his face holding no expression as he said this.

"wife?!" her smile quickly fading.

"yes Sutton, I'm married"
He said making his way to sit as Sutton trails behind him.

"to whom?" she asked in disbelief.
She never expected Alexander to be married upon her arrival.

"lady Mae, daughter of lord Gregory" Alexander said, his eyes glinting in admiration and pride.

"you love her?" Sutton blurted out before she could realize her sentence. "I know it's not my place to ask bu- - -"

She was interrupted by a now standing king "you're right, it's not your place to ask" he spat maliciously. This totally took her by surprise.

Alexander started towards the door as Sutton scrambles to meet him.
"my lord" she called making the king stop in track.
"my F-father, he's holding a ceremony on my arrival, it would be a pleasure to host you and t-the queen " she said letting her gaze fall.
"mother would be with you shortly" his voice filled the room as he exited.

Going to the stables, he mounted his horse and rode off the castle.
Sutton had made him leave the comfort of his home.

Lady Regina met with Sutton that day, although she wasn't overly excited by her presence.
Alexander's mother had witnessed first hand, the relationship her son had with this girl and she did not want her arrival to bring ill luck to his marriage.
Regina decided against telling neither Mae nor Ruby about the unexpected visit of Lady Sutton.