Chapter Five

"Axion, I love you," the ravened hair girl said "Promise me you won't ever leave" she added as she placed her hand on his beating chest
"I promise" Axion gave a sincere reply.
*
*
*
Three months had passed since I'd been married to the king. Our room is so beautiful with a massive king-sized bed. It had a warm glow from the multitude of candles placed on gold stands and the large fireplace that illuminated the room during the night, the windows at the other side of the room, ran from the floor to the ceiling giving a perfect view of the daytime.

I remember the first night I spent in our room, I can feel my cheeks heating up just thinking about it. He had been so tired after the ceremony, immediately he got to our room he fell asleep beside me, that was the most intimate we had been.
Yes, nothing happened.

Alexander has been rather distant since we got married.
I would not see him when I wake and he comes home after I've gone to bed. It was slowly becoming our routine. When I eventually saw him, he would ignore me like a plague and would only nod or give sounds from his throat to acknowledge my presence.
I decided to let him be, I know it's not easy having to share your life with someone you know nothing about.
I had been so occupied with Ruby. The bubbly girl always had something to do, we had bonded so well.
Mother, on the other hand, had taught me all about being queen and how to assist my husband in handling the affairs of the kingdom.
I've been trying hard to impress Alexander with it and I think I'm doing a good job. He hasn't complained about it, not once.
.
.
Mae was admiring her shift dress in the mirror which stood in their room. She loved the way the silk milky material flowed freely down her waist.
The doors to their chambers opened and Alexander walked into the room. She felt the shiver he always seemed to bring, run down her spine before she turned to face him. She stood at the corner and immediately their eyes locked, Mae turned beet red letting her gaze fall to the ground as she played with the tip of her hair nervously.
"There she goes again getting all crimson red," Alexander thought as he sighs " She was practically forced on him what was she blushing about"
He decided to just ignore her queer habit and go have a bath. After he was done, he entered the room to see Mae sitting on her side of their bed. This was total torture.
"Mae if you have something to say to me I suggest you let it out now," He said to her as he got on his side of the bed.
"My lor. . . . " Mae started but was interrupted by Alexander.
" you still address me with that? Am I, not your husband?" Alexander said through clenched teeth as he tried to not raise his voice.
"I-I - don't kno-w-what to call you" she replied rather meekly.
Alexander gave out a sigh as he tugged at his hair. This was torture.
" Call me by my name, or Alex as Mother and Ruby do," he said as his tone softened.
Mae was quiet for a while before she spoke again "Alexander" she whispered "I - I- - I. . ." she stammered.
This was certainly what infuriated him, her shyness was a constant reminder that he hadn't chosen to marry her, that they were total strangers. But he cared for her more than he could admit.
"Hazel eyes just lie next to me and go to sleep," he said giving up on the issue.
Mae nodded as she silently got under their warm bedcover and let sleep engulf her.
___________________________

"Axion, would you do that for me, you'd give everything up for me?" Her voice rang softly in their home. Axion loved her and he would prove it to her.
*
*
*
Two weeks into the new month and Alexander had started warming up to Mae, it was the least he could do, she was his wife and there was no going back on it.
He would steal glances at her when she wasn't looking and smile each time she turned crimson when their eyes locked.
He cared about her just not the way she wanted, he couldn't forget she was a result of a pledge. A forced wife.
"Would you like to go for a walk in the garden with me?" Alexander asked Mae as he kissed the back of her hand.
" o-oh. I'd love to" she replied "I'll be right there, let me change to another dress," Mae said as she made to turn away, she could feel her body grow heavy from the kiss on her hand.
"no need for that," Alexander said as he took her hand and began walking her to the garden "It suits you perfectly," he said with a smirk as Mae flushed like a tomato.
.
.
"oh, Axion! It's beautiful!!" she exclaimed as a breathtaking smile spreads across her glowing face. "it's yours to keep forever my love, to never forget our eternity," Axion said as he slips it into her hand. She was truly the most beautiful woman he had ever seen.
*
*
*
As Alexander and Mae approached the garden, Mae spots a beautifully decorated table in the middle of the garden with an equally beautiful lunch setting.
"Alexander!!" she squeaks as she pulls him faster towards the table.
" It's so beautiful, thank you so much for this," she said as drops of tears escaped her eyes. This was the nicest thing he had done for her.
A rather amused king let out a soft chuckle "I'm glad you like it" he said as his lips twitched.
They sat in comfortable silence as they ate. Mae was too focused on memorizing each second of the moment for it was special to her.

After their beautiful meal, Alexander walked her to their room as they exchanged a few conversations, Mae had been lost again in the sparks that danced on her skin.
There was something special about King Alexander.