Chapter Twelve

My whole world came crashing down with realization. He was leaving me, he would be going off to war and I had little to no assurance of his return.

     "Please don't do this Alexander, the knights can handle it alone" I pleaded as my eyes stung with unshed tears.

"Mae I can't do that, I won't hide in my castle while men risked their lives" he stated

"if something happens to you I won't survive it, the kingdom would have no king"
    hot tears streamed down my face. I couldn't bare to watch him leave

     "you won't lose me" sparks erupt on my skin as his hand caressed my cheek.
"besides who knows, you might give them an heir soon" amusement danced in his tone.

My hands instantly cupped my now red cheeks as a chuckle escapes his lips.

"I told you I have my needs" he said before placing a lingering kiss on my lips.

             "please come home to me" I whispered.

"I will my love" he gave a reassuring smile.

              We walked back to the courtyard to see mother talking with Brad and Julian. She considered them her sons.
"Alex" she wrapped her arms around her son. "oh my son do come home to us, I can't loose you the way I lost your father"
Tears ran down her eyes freely.

     "I'll be home soon mother" he placed a kiss on her forehead. "oh, and you might be getting the grandchild you always wanted really soon" he whispered to mother.
     Oh no, Alexander didn't just say that to mother.
      Her eyes shone in utter excitement causing him to burst into laughter.
  Hugging a crying Ruby, he placed a kiss on her cheek before bidding us farewell and riding off with the soldiers following his lead.
    " please come back to me Alex" I heard mother's faint words.
_________________________________

           The days went by slowly and the weeks even more so since Alexander left for the war.
      The castle had been unbearably quiet as everyone was full of anxiety and anticipation.
    Mother rarely came down to eat with I and Ruby. I sincerely understood her plight.
Ruby on the other hand spent most of her time in the temple of Proteus, offering prayers for her brother.

             I sat facing the large window watching out the courtyard. It became a habit lately.
I would put up a brave front when attending to matters of state but within the confines of my chamber, my inner walls broke to tiny specks.
    Each day was like an eternity of mental torture. The wait was paralyzing.

      "He would be home soon my dear"

mother's voice brought me back to the present. This was the first time I've seen her in weeks.
             "mother I didn't know you had entered" I stood rushing to meet her.
Her eyes showed her pain clearly, the pain of a mother who didn't want to loose her only son.

            A loud distant clamour stopped our conversation before Ahne my handmaiden came rushing into my chamber.
         "the guards says to inform you on the king's arrival my queen"
     A smile on her face as she says this.

Relief washes over me on hearing her words. My husband was finally home.
      I hurried my way to the courtyard with mother following behind me.  Horses rode through the gates, those beautiful blue eyes caught my attention but something was off, he looked rather too pale.

      "mother! Alexander doesn't look too good" my heartbeat thudding rapidly in my chest.
          He staggered toward me as a few knights hurry to hold him up.
          "ALEXANDER!!!!"  my world stopped on seeing a large blood stain on the tunic he wore.
            "mine"  his voice came out weak before falling limb as servants rushed to carry him into the castle...
     Mother's wails where loud behind me as she pushed past me towards her son. I on the other hand stayed rooted in place.
          "nooooo!! " whatever little hope I had shattered before my eyes as a sharp jab of pain surged through my heart.

I begged him not to go, I begged him to say with me, - for mother but he wouldn't listen. His pride wouldn't let him.. And now?
       Now he was gone.