Chapter Twenty Two

My eyes fluttered open as sunlight crept through the curtains of the windows.
Alexander lay sleeping beside me on his stomach, his breathing steady with his thick arm wrapped around my waist. Even while he was asleep, he still looked so gorgeous.

My heart was beating a thousand times a minute as the event of last night flooded through my mind making my face heat up.
Bringing my hands up to my cheeks, I patted it continuously to take away the giddy feeling that ate through me.

Alexander took in a breath of air as his hold on me tightened which made me quickly shut my eyes.

"I know you're awake Mae" his husky voice sent sparks up my veins.

I blinked my eyes open as a sheepish smile formed on my face making him chuckle.

" you're so beautiful" he said placing a kiss on my head.

After a minute of silence, Alexander announced how busy his day would be as he tried making his way off the bed.

"please don't leave me" I whined like a child while clinging onto him.

"Mae you don't have to be so demanding, I'm all yours" he teased making me snort with laughter.

"unless you want us to keep trying for children" mischief lingered on his tone.

I immediately let go of my husband as I turn Crimson colored for the second time that morning.

"uhm - you have things to do" my voice muffled by the pillow as I hid my face.

" you're so cute and gullible" he said making his way to the bathroom.

I was still sprawled lazily on the bed when Alexander was ready to set out for the day.

"I'd be home early today, we'd go to the lower town together" he placed a kiss on my lips before exiting the room.
This was totally one of my best days.
___________________________

Morning went by in a blur as I lay helplessly engrossed in the book I was reading.
I hadn't left the room all morning not even for breakfast. Ahne had come to check on me a few minutes ago and I requested a meal be brought to my room.

A knock on the door diverted my attention from the book I had been reading to the source of the sound.
Ahne must be here with the food

"yes" I called out.

"my dear child" mother said approaching where I lay.

"mother! I wasn't expecting you" I took the tray of food from her.

"you didn't come down for breakfast, I got worried" she said.

"I was just lost in the book I was reading" I gave a sheepish smile.

"alright, come down to the garden for some air when you're done" she placed a kiss on my forehead before retreating.

"I will mother" I said before she closed the door behind her.

After devouring the meal mother had brought I decided it was time to go down to the garden.
I spotted lord Daniel and a rather flushed Ruby seated beside him at the foyer.

"lord Daniel" I acknowledged

"you look beautiful my lady" he complimented

"why thank you" I smiled " I see you're here for your bride"

"yes my lady" his lips twitched upwards "I can't stay away from Ruby" he added in all honesty making Ruby squeak.
I knew he would be absolutely perfect for her.
____________________________

Alexander had arrived home early as promised. He and the queen set out to the lower kingdom.
Making their way through the market in a carriage, people gathered to steal glances at the couple.

When they arrived at the King's destination, Mae stood in awe at the the place before her. It was magnificent.

"what's this place?" she asked totally marveled

" the temple of Axion, an old place of worship." her husband said.

" I heard people no longer offer petitions to him because he doesn't grant them" Mae stated.

" yes, that's why it's deserted" he confirmed.

"Alexander, why doesn't he grant them?"
His wife asked

"I really don't know" The king replied.

"yes, she's definitely the one" an unknown voice said

Turning to the source, Alexander and the queen spot an old man.

"she really is the one" his shaky voice said before he walked away.

"what was he talking about" Mae questioned as she walked closer to her husband.

" forget about it" Alexander said.