Chapter Twenty

In the early hours of the day while Alexander had gone to attend to offical duties, the trumpets announced the arrival of the King's uncle, -Lord Allister Montemogry.

"my lord" Mae curtsied, "it's a pleasure to have you. Although my husband is not here at the moment" she added

" So this is the queen?" Allister questioned giving Mae a disgusted look.

"the rumours did you more justice, you're certainly not that pretty in person" he said before walking past her and moving towards Ruby.

Lady Regina caught his harsh words and gave Mae an apologetic smile. Her husband's brother wasn't very good with words.

After Lord Allister's needs were taken care of and a messenger sent to the king to inform him on the arrival of his uncle, Mae was enjoying the peace and serenity of the garden when the sound of footsteps caught her attention.

"I really don't get what my nephew saw in you" the sly man stated as he weighed the rather nervous queen.

"the king should be with someone like lord Rahl's daughter not this" he gestured at Mae. Disgust written all over his face.

"I never forced myself on Alexander, it was his wish to be with me" hurt tingled in her tone.

"it was never his wish, it was my brother's."
Allister scoffed. " how do you think he'll feel knowing you can't give his son children?" his lips twitched in a smirk

Those words broke her. she was aware of her predicament and the constant reminders did nothing more than shatter her.
Rising from where she sat, she rushed past him and hurried her way to her chamber as hot tears poured down her eyes.

Mother who was at the foyer at that time heard the sniffles of someone.
"Mae?" she called out but didn't get any response.

Mae pushed through the doors and slumped on the bed as tears flowed uncontrollably down her cheeks. Her eyes now swollen and red.
Lady Regina rushed into the room after her daughter "Mae what's wrong child? Why are you crying?" she asked pulling Mae into her warm embrace.

"mother - I'm s-so sorry, I would do anything to give you grandchildren, to give Alex children. I don't know what's wrong with me" she wailed.

"oh child stop this, you haven't done anything wrong" lady Regina said as tears rolled down her eyes.
She hadn't missed the pitiful glances thrown at her daughter each time they appeared publicly.

"his so mean, he doesn't want me for Alexander because I can't have children. I'm so sorry" more sobs erupted from her throat.

" hush now, it's going to be fine Mae.
Alex won't like to see you this way" Regina said in a hushed tone.
____________________________

Alexander had just arrived at the castle, his face holding its normal stoic expression.
On hearing the arrival of his uncle, the king saw no reason to rush home as he had never liked Allister.

"Mae I'm home" he said walking into their chamber only to be greeted by Ruby who sat beside his sleeping wife, her face red and stained with tears.

"what happened?" he inquired approaching his sister who in turn narrated the ordeal.

"He. Did. What!" his voice boomed through the room making the walls shake slightly. Alexander always had a bad temper.

"where is he?" he asked through gritted teeth

"In his chamber. Mother is speaking with him" she replied as Mae turned in her sleep.

Alexander took long angry strides towards the room which held his uncle.

"Alex, I see your home now" Allister said as Alexander walked into the room.

"what did you say to my wife?" fury raked through the king.

"Son let me handle this" mother chipped in.

"No mother I'm capable of handling this" he snapped

"no need to be furious my boy, that woman isn't good for you" the vile man snickered. " now a woman like Sutton would make a perfect queen"

"I'm sure you have sons, go marry one off to her I'm not interested" anger coursing through his words.

"why don't you see reason child, she can't even give you children. It's best you annul the marriage" he placed a hand on Alexander's shoulders.

Lady Regina's ears perked up on hearing this. She never thought this man would go that far in getting her son married to Sutton.
Annulment?? She whispered to herself.

"annul my marriage?!" his rage was at its peak as his eyes darkened. "may I remind you that's your queen you're speaking against" his hands clenched tightly beside him.

"Queen" Allister scoffed "that lady is no queen" he bluntly stated

"I'VE HAD ENOUGH!" the king roared in anger. "you are to leave at first light. If you refuse, you will be charged for treason"

"Alex he's your uncle. Don't make irrational decisions" mother pleaded

"irrational?? Mother he insulted the queen. This is rational" Alexander said.

"you can't do that son, I'm your father's brother" Allister replied.

"tomorrow will tell then" the king said before exiting the room.

Alexander returned to his chamber to find out his sister had already left. He freshened up and got on the bed with Mae. All the fuss had eventually awoken her.

"Alex I'm so sorry" she whispered as fresh tears threatened to roll down her face.

"there's no need to apologize Mae, you did nothing wrong" he said placing a kiss on her lips.
"go back to sleep I'm here to protect you"