Chapter Twenty Nine

On the first week of the ninth month, Mae decided on ending her unyielding feud with her husband especially with their child being due soon.
She missed her husband deeply and regretted asking him to leave her even after he had explained everything.

Alexander would come home once in a while, steal glances at her making sure she's okay before leaving.
Julian had been with the queen, protecting her in his absence but right now, he was out on official duties.
.
.
It was a beautiful evening and the sun had begun setting.

"mother, I'm going to the temple to offer a prayer" Mae said approaching Lady Regina at the balcony.

" Julian's away child, you know Alex doesn't want you going out alone" mother said.

"oh please mother, it's just the temple, nothing would go wrong. I'll take the carriage and guards" she pleaded

"Alright child, just be home soon" lady Regina finally gave in.

"Thank you mother" Mae said before rushing to the court yard and heading to the temple. Not to the temple of Proteus but rather the deserted temple of Axion.

She had instructed the guards to wait at a spot while she continued on to the clearing of the temple on foot.

After spending time at the temple, she decided on speaking to Alexander the moment he got home tonight for she missed him terribly.
On exiting the temple, the sky had lost its shine as darkness was fighting for dominance. She spent much time than intended.

Walking briskly towards where she had instructed the guards to wait, the rustling in the woods caught her attention.

"Hello! Is anyone there?!" her voice trembling in fear.

More rustling was heard and it seemed to approach where she stood making her back away on instinct.
The snapping of a twig made her take frantic steps backwards, in a swift moment, her foot missed a step at the edge of the hill making her fall all the way down the valley.

"H-Help" a weak cry escaped her lips as she wrapped her arms protectively on her baby bump.
Her body bruised from the fall as blood slipped down her thighs soaking her dress.

"H-Help p-please" her pleas still as weak as before.
"oh Proteus please save my child" she wept
______________________________________

At the castle, Alexander had just arrived and noticed the absence of his wife
"Where's Mae?" he asked walking into his mother's chamber.

"She's at the temple, she went to offer a prayer son"

"And you let her?!" he yelled

"She took some guards with her, no ill luck will come to her son" lady Regina stated

"anything could happen mother, why isn't she back yet?!" he asked running a hand furiously through his hair.

"I really don't know"

With that, Alexander hurried to the stable and got on his horse, riding off to the temple.

On getting to the temple of Proteus, Mae was no where to be found. After inquiring from the priestess, he finds out she hadn't even been there in the first place.
Knowing exactly where his wife would be now, he rushed off to the temple of Axion, - his temple.

"where is the queen? And why are you sitting here?!" he spat angrily at the guards Mae had stationed there.

"the queen is at the clearing, the temple of Axion" a guard replied

"and why aren't you with her?"

"She instructed us to wait here Sire" another said.

Walking past them, he moves to the clearing and straight into the temple but finds it empty.
Where could she be?? He wondered.

Taking large steps towards where the servants waited, faint whimpering caught his attention.

"Mae is that you!!!" he called out but there was no response.

Moving toward the carriage, the whimpering went off again.
Deciding to decipher it's source, Alexander listens to it intently and follows the direction the sound is heard.

Standing at the edge of the hill, he spots his wife laying unmoving at the valley, her dress torn and stained with blood.
"Mae!!!" he slides down the valley and rushes to her. Scooping her limb body into his hands.

"I'm here, you're going to be alright"

"A-Alexander, save the child please" her faint voice barely audible.

The king hurried his way to the carriage and they set out to the physicians place.
___________________________________

"My lady " a servant bowed to lady Regina

" Has Alex found the queen?" she inquired

"yes my lady but the queen was found battered at the valley. The king is at the physician's cabin as we speak"

"my dear Proteus! That can't be true. Send a messenger to the Richmond estate and inform my daughter. Also prepare a carriage for me" lady Regina said.

"I'm afraid the king has instructed us to keep you in the castle for your protection my lady."

"and why is that?" she questioned

" the king believes what happened to the queen wasn't an accident but a work of his enemies my lady" he said before leaving a dazed lady Regina.
______________________________

"Mother! Mother!!, I did bad mother!!!"

"What do you mean you did bad?"

"oh mother, I trailed behind her to the temple and she-- she fell and - oh I'm so in trouble"

"who are you talking about child?"

" Mae, mother, the queen she's laying unmoving at the valley close to the temple of Axion" she rushed out

"Sutton!! What have you done"