Chapter 14

Medical College Women's Hostel, New Delhi

8.00 pm

.

"Thank you" Aarav said as he took the keys from Shreya. Shreya smiled faintly and rubbed her hand on her arm, "Everything will be alright" she whispered comfortingly.

Aarav nodded grimly and said, "It's just for a few days. I've asked my friend to look for an apartment"

"You can stay there as much you want. It's mine. So is it yours" Shreya said slowly. Aarav nodded and turned to walk away.

She held his hand and he looked at her. Sighing, Shreya walked forward and wrapped her arms around his waist. Hugging him slowly she whispered, "Open up Aarav"

Aarav stood stiff as a pole and did not return the hug. She broke the hug and looked at him in worry. "Speak it out. Don't keep it to yourself" she said softly.

Aarav bent down to her face and kissed her lips. "Bye" he murmured and walked away.

.

.

Skyline Apartment, New Delhi

8.30 pm

.

Khushi looked around the place as she entered the apartment.

"Shreya own it. Her parents stay here when they come to Delhi" Aarav said and Khushi nodded.

He walked to the dining room and switched on the lights. Keeping the food packets he had bought on the table, he turned to his mother.

Khushi sat on the couch and stared at the wall.

"Mamma have food" Aarav called out.

She didn't respond but kept on staring at the wall. Tears kept rolling down her cheek and she leaned her head back on the couch.

Aarav took out his cell and dialed Anjali's number.

"Ha bua" he said, "Mamma is with me. We're staying at....my friend's place. Ask him not to come searching for us"

He listened to what Anjali is saying and said, "We're fine bua. We're good!" he hang up. Sitting on the chair he buried his face in his palms.

Right from his childhood, he was appreciated for his outstanding memory and observation skills. From the number of paintings hung up on the walls of the classroom to the number of steps they had to walk to reach the highest floor; from the dates of specific events to each tiny minute details written in his medical textbook; Aarav remembered it all! And cue to his memory, he remembered most of the things that happened since his age of capturing moments.

An important one was an image of himself playing with other kids in an orphanage. The most lovable and sweet moment of his life. When he helped the ashram head Asha ji in gardening, when he played on swing with Rekha, a girl who used to play with him, and when he was scolded by the cook for wasting rice and throwing it away.

Then came Sheethal. A nightmare disguised as a daydream! With hues of hopes and dozen of dreams, she took him away in her expensive car and gave him beautiful dresses he had dreamt of. She just had one condition. To get his father, her husband, back he need to be like him. A desire to be accepted by his father made him do things he never dreamt of doing. A boy who hated sports to core, he was, trained basketball to be a pro. A boy who loved sweets had to behave like a diabetic. He, who loved oily food to his heart, had to eat tasteless toast. All for the acceptance of someone he thought his father.