Chapter 23

City Hospital, New Delhi

10.30 pm

"Aarav!" Snr Dr. Khurana exclaimed seeing the boy who worked as his junior for years.

"How are you dr?" Aarav asked smiling shaking his hands.

"Good good. How are you my boy? How's US? It's been four...? Three....three years!"

"Great going sir!" Aarav said smiling.

"You look a bit old!" Khurana said laughing, "Grey hair! Ha, start to dye my boy!"

Aarav laughed.

"Acha I've got to go. Surgery coming!" Khurana said and patted Aarav's shoulder, "Walk around and meet people!"

"That's why I'm here" Aarav said smiling.

Khurana walked away and Aarav pocketed his hands. He looked around the busy hospital and took a deep breath.

"Hello sir" the woman at the help desk said smiling.

Aarav smiled recognizing her face, "You still work here Vani?"

The woman nodded and said, "How are you sir?"

"Great. How are you?"

"Good going sir!"

Aarav looked around and asked, "Did any of the doctors resign....or are everyone still here?"

Vani looked at her system and said, "I can get that details for you sir"

"Thanks" Aarav said smiling nervously.

Vani stopped typing and looked at him. "Do you want details of someone specific sir?"

Aarav looked at her and smiled faintly.

"Shreya works here as junior to Dr. Sharma. Fifth floor, 3rd cabin in the right!" Vani said.

"Thank you" Aarav said smiling and walked away.

.

.

.

Café Brazilio, New Delhi

1.30 pm

"Your tastes have changed!" Payal said smiling watching her sister eating creamy Alfredo pasta with ease.

"I love this so much" Khushi said smiling. Adjusting her loose strands into a messy bun, she took the fork and dipped it into the creamy pasta. "It's so tasty. Ever since I had this with Aarav at US, I have been dying to taste it again!"

Payal chuckled and ate her noodles.

"How're your jangli daughters?" Khushi asked laughing.

Payal groaned and said, "They have created some scene. Akash have gone to their boarding school. These kids! They're gonne be the end of Akash!"

Khushi chuckled and Payal asked, "Where the hell is Aarav. I wanna meet him so badly!"

"He went to the hospital"

"Why?"

"To visit some people he said!" Khushi mumbled.

"Or to meet someone specific!" Payal whispered.

Khushi kept down her fork and shook her head, "I hope it goes well. I tried my best to convince him to call Shreya in the past three years but...no...he doesn't budge! No matter what he never opened up about her!"

"So he forgot her? Doesn't care about her?" Payal asked.

"No" Khushi cried, "I've seen her photo in his purse. In his laptop. Hell, his mobile wallpaper is Shreya. I don't understand why he is hurting himself and also her!"

"Didn't he call her? Just once?" Payal whispered.

"No" Khushi whispered.

Payal sighed, "I met her once to talk about Aarav. She asked me not to meet her again if the topic of discussion is gonna be Aarav"

Khushi sighed and nodded, "I hope it goes well!"

Payal hummed and Khushi looked down to her plate. She started twirling her fork and occasionally glanced at Payal. Payal sighed and kept her fork down. "What is it? Shoot!" she said.

"What?" Khushi asked shrugging.

"Just ask what you have it inside! Don't play Khushi!" Payal said chuckling.

Khushi sighed and said, "You got me!"

"What is it?" Payal asked.

Khushi bit her lip and looked away. "Err....is...how are things at home...?"

"You used to call me every day and I used to narrate the events at home!" Payal said raising her eyebrow.

"You know what I meant" Khushi whispered, "You said about everything and everyone but not about...."

Payal took a deep breath and said, "He doesn't live with us anymore"

"Then?"

Payal shrugged.

"Don't you know?" Khushi narrowed her eyes.

"No. He comes to office. Akash meets him there!" Payal said.

"He never stepped into the house after we left?" Khushi whispered.

"He did. To take his belongings. And he left" Payal said.

Khushi looked away and Payal said, "Why are you still thinking about him? Why concerned about him?"

"He is my husband jiji!"

"Ha...Payal scoffed, "Where did this sudden love come from?"

Khushi smiled faintly and said, "What he did is unforgettable and unforgivable. I cannot live with him anymore. But I can't stop loving him either. He is special to me jiji!"

"Your love for him is toxic! Really toxic! Toxic to yourself!" Payal said shaking her head.

Khushi shrugged and said, "But I like it!"

"Don't even think about getting back with him!" Payal warned.

Khushi smiled faintly and said, "I didn't move this far to get back to him jiji. I walked away to build a life of my own, not to cry over the life I lost!"

"Are you gonna meet him?"

Khushi nodded and said, "Yes. It's been three years!"

"Khushi" Payal whispered and held her sister's palm, "You've taken the right decision. Stay strong. Please don't change it. I suggest you not to visit him!"

"Are you afraid that meeting him will change my mind?" Khushi asked.

"May be!" Payal whispered.

Khushi nodded no and said, "It won't. But I want to see him again. Jiji, I don't want to be with him. I can't trust him anymore. But...but you don't know how much I suffered these three years without seeing him...without hearing his voice...I want to see him jiji!"

"Take a stand Khushi" Payal said irritated.

"I can't!" Khushi cried, "I can't take a stand when it comes to him! I'm clear about everything but not about him!"

"Arnav Singh Raizada is dead for you" Payal hissed, "That's how it should be!"

"And that's how it'll never be!" Khushi whispered, "No matter how much I try...he can never be dead for me!"