Chapter 22

3 years later

Texas, US

DHR Health Oncology Institute, Edinburg

10.30 am

"Sure doctor" the nurse nodded and Aarav walked inside to this cabin. "Get the injection from pharmacy and prepare the solution" he ordered. The nurse nodded and scurried away.

Slumping on his chair, Aarav removed his spectacle and rubbed the bridge of his nose. His eyes fell on the small greeting card made out of pink chart paper. A small smile formed on his lips as he remembered the sweet little girl who gave it to him, just days before her death.

Lily, just as her name suggests, was a beautiful 8 little girl who was caught in the web of the deadly disease called cancer. Lying on the hospital bed with numerous tubes attached to her body, Lily was the happiest person he had ever seen. Was it her age which did not give her the realization that her life is gonna end? Or was it her maturity beyond her age that made her enjoy the rest of her days? Whichever it was, Lily always bloomed in happiness. She wasn't just a patient for him but a best friend he was in dire need of!

Taking a deep breath, he opened the card. He smiled, just as he do every time he opens it.

Doctor Aary

You are good

I like you so much

But I know you like photo girl more.

Love, Lily

Keeping the card safely on the table, he took out his purse to see the picture of him and the girl he had left behind.

"Ha Lily baby is happy?"

"Lily always happy" Lily squealed.

"Ha now listen, this is gonna pain a little!" Aarav said softly and took out the injection.

"That needle pains a lot" Lily said pouting and shut her eyes tight. Aarav's lip formed a thin line and he injected the medicine carefully.

The girl burst into tears and screamed and Aarav said soothing, "It's over...it's over...just a small thing it's..."

"It pains...." Lily cried and Aarav applied lotion on cotton swab, pressing it on her skin.

"Good?" he asked smiling and Lily sniffled her tears, stopping her cries.

Lily pouted and looked down. "You purse....on the floor!" she pointed.

Aarav bend down and took his wallet and the girl pulled it. "Let me see" she said smiling.

"Careful" he said holding her arm where he had injected.

"Who is this girl?" Lily asked showing him the pic in his purse.

"My friend" he said slowly.

"Friend?" Lily raised her eyebrow.

"Hmmm"

"Girlfriend! Doctor has a girlfriend!" Lily squealed.

Aarav chuckled and Lily asked, "Where is she?"

"I don't know" he shrugged.

"Why?" she asked frowning.

"We...I don't know..."