Chapter 6: Bernardo

An unknown knocked at the door, waking me up from a much-needed rest. Kicking covers off my body, unsure of when I got under them, I got out of bed. The heated floors brought comfort when I thought I was in for a chill.

"Lights on," I said aloud. The chandelier flickered on. My eyes took a moment to adjust.

"One second," I said as another impatient knock echoed through the room. I only had my boxer on and saw nothing to cover myself with, so I walked to the door and opened it. There stood my mom and my mother-in-law.

"Good morning," they said one after another.

"Good morning," I replied.

"Myles wake up," the Northern Queen said startling Myles who shouted in panic.

"Both of you need to get ready to leave. The aircraft is waiting. I had to fire the security staff last night, and I would prefer to be away from this unsecure palace as soon as possible. There are clothes waiting for you in the bathroom after you two get dressed. The new guards will be here to help you. And do it quickly. A snow front is rolling in," my mother-in-law said before turning on her heels and leaving the room.

My mother walked over to me and placed her hands on my face. "Did you uphold your part last night?" She spoke in Portuguese to keep things private.

"Yes." I watched as she smiled at me, knowing I hadn't lied through the use of a lie detection spell.

"Congratulations on becoming a married man. You might not understand now, but being the King of Panama could be a greater accomplishment than taking my position." She slapped the side of my face once and then left the room. Shrugging, I went into the bathroom and shut my eyes immediately when I saw Myles pulling on a pair of underwear.

"Sorry," I exclaimed, not even realizing he had gotten out of bed.

"You've already seen me naked, this is fine," he said bedding to grab a pair of denim that lay across the tub.

"That's true," I replied. Walking into the bathroom, I turned the shower on.

"They sounded like they were in a rush," Myles said and walked over to me before placing his small hand on my exposed back. I felt a rush of cold air run over my body.

"It's called Cleansing Gust. It cleanses your skin and teeth, leaving you smelling like mint. I use it when I'm in a rush." He stepped back and finished putting his jeans on.

"Thanks," I replied before turning the shower off. I dropped my boxers and put the replacements on. I looked over at Myles, who stretched enough to see the trim of lace peeking above his jeans. He was a feminine guy, which was cool. That thought led me to saying something before I could filter it out.

"Maybe you could transform into a woman at night or when we are alone." I bit my cheek when I heard the words. He looked at me enraged, then regained composure.

"I don't have the talent for shape-shifting. I usually present slightly more masculine than they have me dressing now. All of this is to appeal to you. The lace, even though I enjoy wearing it, is new to me. The shimmer, the fruit aroma clinging to my clothes, is all for you," he said in an even tone. I had crossed a line.

"Sorry, didn't mean to offend you," I said, grabbing for my shirt wondering if it was such a wild idea. If he changed into a woman, we could be more than cordial. I banished the thought from my mind and completed dressing myself. Once I dressed myself, I realized we were wearing the same outfit; white shoes, denim, and long-sleeved cider colored cashmere sweaters.

"They're waiting on us," he said, in that small voice he had used every time we talked. I watched him walk towards the hallway and hung my head, then got annoyed at myself for caring. Only two months ago we were mortal enemies, and now I was caring about my fragile feelings. He was not worthy of getting the Iron Prince's concern. Though he was now my husband, so I had to keep pretending.