Chapter 14: Bernardo

I felt frozen in place. My body would not respond to any request my brain made to move. It was like the words Myles spat at me required my entire body to be still, to process his words. I kept staring at the space he occupied like a child looking at contrails. I felt like Myles had punched me in the gut and couldn't understand why his words hit me so hard.

I had thought about having a woman on the side. Something past a one-night stand, the one I had was fun, but I couldn't even remember her name. I wanted more. In my head it would work perfectly for us to have someone who we were actually attracted to. What I didn't think about was Myles actually acting on finding someone. Even the idea made me want to hit something with all my strength.

With regained motor function, I walked to the gym and accessed the intercom. "Alejandro meet me in the gym, I need to spar."

As I walked to the gym, I kicked my socks off to the side so I could maneuver the way I wanted to. I stepped into the octagon and sat down to stretch; I reached for my feet, feeling the strain in my back and hamstrings.

"Sir, you wanted to spar?" Alejandro walked into the octagon with a look of apprehension. I nodded as I stood to face him. I nodded as I stood up to face him. He gave a nod before his face morphed to one of determination. We circled each other. He shook his legs now and then. We had only sparred once before and that was all it took to teach me to avoid his kicks.

I focused on ways to catch him off guard, knowing my usual techniques wouldn't work on a fighter of his style. Despite my urge to focus, my mind wandered to how Myles did not falter under my stare or manipulation tactics. He was stronger mentally and emotionally than I thought.

Alejandro's grunt brought me back to reality. He ran up to me and kicked toward my torso, which I barely dodged. His steps were quick and soft which exploited my l and reliance on hearing to fight and the difference in how quick we were. I tossed a right hook his way to get him to back up. I wanted to land several punches to release my anger, and he would make me work for it.

I was skilled at fighting guys who were bigger and smaller than me. Alejandro mixed how both types of opponents would fight. He was strong, quick, adaptable, and silent. It was like fighting an assassin rather than a bodyguard. He expected the next few punches and dodged them effortlessly. After dodging a few punches, he returned fire.

He jumped in the air and began trying to land aerial kicks. I tried to launch at him to close the distance, but he spun back on his heels and struck me in the mouth. I stumbled back, stunned that someone had hit me. I wiped my mouth, feeling blood pooling around my lips. I could taste the iron flavor, and that riled me. I changed my hectic anger strategy to a calm and calculated technique. I looked up at him as he bounced from side to side. He was getting too comfortable putting my back to the wall. I would show him what a royal could do at the top of their game.

"Sorry sir," I could see the shadow of a smirk on his face.

"Don't apologize for being good at what you do. I haven't bled in a while so this is actually a challenge," I said.

"You're distracted so I won't hold it against you," he said. I brought my hands together and quickly transmuted the air trapped between my palms into iron. As soon as I formed the projectile I simultaneously threw it at Alejandro and began infusing mana into the ground.

He jumped using his superior reflexes, successfully avoiding the minor threat. Before his feet could hit the ground, I rushed him and connected my fist with his sternum. He coughed before placing his hand out and releasing a gust of wind that knocked me back into the metal gate. I expected that move. Alejandro was one of the best wind magicians I had ever encountered. Wind magic could have devastating consequences if the user is powerful enough.