Chapter 23: Myles

The change in my relationship had me floating on air. As I skipped through the hallway towards my office, I hummed an explicitly sexual song from the late 2200's. I hated working in my office and preferred the openness of the kitchen, but this was a private matter. Even though I dreaded the meeting, my life was going too well to act depressed. I was in a state of euphoria.

Making my way to my smart desk, I started the call. They wanted an update on Kimberly Armor. The room slowly darkened as the blinds came from the ceiling, obscuring the view of the forest near the side of the house. A rainbow of light bloomed on my lenses before I was seeing the same underground bunker where this all started.

"Myles," Nova said. She was almost always the first to arrive. I could hear her children screaming in the background of her audio. "Hey," I greeted her. We had kept in contact lately so there was no awkwardness as there normally would have been. Next to enter the conversation were my triplet brothers Donovan, Iman, and Oliver who used separate screens while sitting in the same room. They even had on the same style of uniform.

"Hey," Nova said to her twin Kendrix as he entered the conversation. The other six siblings filtered in soon after. I only took the time to greet Celine as we wired for our parents. She smiled back at me, but the others didn't even glance in my direction. I could feel my mood dim the longer we waited. I wished nothing more than to join Bernardo and Alejandro, who I heard walking past the door.

"Children," my mother said as she entered the chat. She was wearing a satin purple dress that matched her eyeshadow. My father entered last as we all went silent.

"Good morning, everyone. Morris updates on the defensive partnership with the Oceanic Principality." My father always started with the eldest children. I knew I would be last, so I did my best to look engaged while they answered his questions. I wondered how normal families talked when they gathered. Imagining that swept me away to a world where we all played together and used our magic for fun.

"Myles!" Nova shouted at me to get my attention. "Yes," I answered.

"He asked, have you had any updates on the Muerte terrorist group?" My siblings were snickering in the background, but I ignored them. Only three people in the conversation were actively running a nation, my parents and me. I would not let them get me down.

"While again I am not the main point of contact for this matter, they have informed me that the terrorist group has sheltered in the mountain villages during this time of the year in the past. Kimberly Armor may or may not be there with them, but we assume that she is since the weaker members gather around the stronger members historically. The loose social structure makes it hard to determine her whereabouts since there seems to be no accountability reporting between members. Bernardo is working with our intelligence analyst to develop a relationship with village leaders in that area who would inform us if they make contact. Our primary goal is to capture and send members back to their original nations for prosecution."

"Why are you not more involved in the effort?" My mother stared me down. It was hard not to avert my eyes under her lioness gaze. "We must not let our priorities become so focused on one issue that we don't notice another arising. Bernardo is more equipped for this kind of mission while I spend my time on the other concerns." She nodded her head.

"You need to squash these insects like the roaches they are before it sends a message that the West tolerates terrorism," my father added. "And they will be. We all know I would not be the person to do it the way it needs to be, so I've stepped back. This is how it will be." I wanted the conversation to end as it had become circular. Nobody responded to what I had said. They were not used to me speaking with finality.

"That is all," my father said before ending his call. My siblings and mother quickly exited behind him, leaving just Celine and me. Her hair was curled, and she wore a black turtlenecked garment that didn't show the strain of the veins around her neck.