Chapter 31: Myles

I walked through the well-adorned hallways allowing my finger to slide against the impeccably painted walls of the palace and watched as the newly hired staff went about their duties. Though they were busy or needlessly making themselves look busy they all took out a sliver of time to look at me and give me a warm smile or some other greeting gesture. I had banned bowing in the palace unless we were hosting a formal event only because I really hated seeing people do it more than they probably loathed doing it.

"What are you doing out of bed you should be resting," Bernardo said coming from behind me. I was slightly startled but not enough to make a spectacle. It was always a strange experience when the mammoth of a man was able to walk up on my quietly. I had forgone sensing everyone around me as the baby was receiving all of that extra energy I would have had to focus on to identify who was in the vicinity and the general amount of unneeded stress it would put my body under.

"I am fine Bernardo I am just on my way to the kitchen to make myself a snack until your sister makes it here and we can eat lunch," I explained as I swatted away his hand that came to pull me back.

"I can get you some more to eat you really should be resting," he replied to what I had just said.

"I'm sure you would love to have me growing even fatter than I already am," I accused. Ever since I had begun to gain weight he had been more and more voracious than he had ever been.

"What are you accusing me of doing," he said feigning both ignorance and shock. I ignored him and continued to walk with him close behind as if I was going to fall over during the trip to the kitchen. It was both foolish and possible at the same time. I wasn't clumsy but my equilibrium was also thrown off by the growing hump inside of me. I placed my hand over my white cotton covered abdomen and finished the journey to the kitchen. There worked three dedicated chefs who had pots filled with scalding hot water prepped for whatever concoction was to be cooked inside. Steam wafted through the kitchen and the sounds of the knives hitting the cutting boards and wooden spoons against the ceramic mixing bowls spread throughout the area like music.

"Hello everyone please don't let me disturb you I know you are all working hard for Princess Rosa's arrival which I am thankful for," I announced as I entered the room. They smiled and spoke kind words while I walked to the refrigerator and prepared some a quick cucumber sandwich. Bernardo grabbed the rubbish and tossed it out while I immediately ate the healthy snack. He looked down at me and smiled with so much adoration held towards me and the life we had created by both of us.

"Stop looking at me," I said feeling embarassed by the attention that he was giving me.

"No I think I will continue," he said and watched as I gave him a once over noticing how nice the simple pidgeon blue shirt and lightly washed jeans against his skin tone.

"We should get you out of those pajamas before my sister gets her baby boy," Bernardo told me which I nodded too. He led me up the stairs and we made it to the bedroom where a set of an eggshell white linen shirt and loose pants were laid out on the bed having been freshly pressed. Ignoring the clothing momentarily I walked to the bathroom and quickly cleaned my skin with products that left me both moisturized and smelling like a sweet rose.

"Are you just going to stand there," I asked as Bernardo had watched my every move.

"No I am just staring at perfection," he replied to me. I rolled my eyes at the comment and went to clothe myself. Once completely clothed sans shoes I walked out of the room and went downstairs all the way to the front door where Mileta was posted.

"How can I help you, sir," she asked.

"Just want to wait for our guest outside; get some fresh air and have some tea," I told her kindly.