Chapter 19: Myles

My alarm's jazz music lulled me awake, my eyes fluttering open to a view of the sun peeking over the horizon. For the first time since the ambush, I woke up at full strength. I took in a deep breath and realized that the warmth I had fallen to sleep with left me alone. There were only cold sheets and hurt feelings.

I looked over at the sky that was a tapestry of pinks, purples, and warm orange tones. A cool blue was creeping up as the sun began rising ahead. My heart felt like it was being squeezed as disappointment settled in my chest.

"I knew he would do something like this. Why did I even give him a chance?" I turned in bed knocking the covers off of me exposing my naked body. I rolled out of bed and stomped to the bathroom. Standing in the sink, I took in the ten plum colored marks adorning my neck. My eyes welled with tears.

I looked up then saw a note type on the screen of the mirror. "Sorry I had to leave this morning without saying goodbye. Hope you won't hold it against me and good luck with your interview. I'll see you tonight." I read his words aloud and felt myself relax.

If you say that you accept his apology, accept it and mean it.

"Sir, I don't mean to rush you but we are about thirty minutes behind," Alejandro shouted from outside the bedroom. I scolded myself for taking so long to get out of bed. Quickly rushing through my routine, I dressed in a simple cider colored suit and walked to the hallways where Alejandro was waiting. He was doing an expert job at not looking impatient.

"Sorry I had a late start," I explained.

"I can tell. Let me do something for you," Alejandro said before he waved his hand near my neck.

"Just a first aid spell to clear up to passion marks," he said. I could have died right there.

"Let's go, we don't want to keep the people waiting," he said. He started moving down the stairs and I found it hard to keep up since he had a longer stride. We rushed to the car that had a minor guard detail waiting. I waved as an apology for keeping them so long. Alejandro helped me in and then rushed to pull off before I even buckled myself in place.

We rode at a rapid pace, using the sirens to part traffic as we navigated the highways all the way to downtown Panama City. I reached for the window switch and rolled them down so I could get some fresh air. I felt the breeze flow through my suit jacket. It was a moment of tranquility before the chaos.

"Do you have your talking points prepared sir?" I looked at the back of Alejandro's head and nodded before realizing how dumb that was. "They are. I hate being in the spotlight, something that wasn't easy to get away from as a prince." He nodded his head as he turned a corner down film street. The city planners packed each side of the road with studios that had famous people making their way on and off set.

"You will do well, it's not like he can turn back now," he said. He drove to a large gray brick building and parked at the entrance. In front was a row of flowers along with men and women dressed in black suits. In the front stood a man who had seen many moons. He did his hair well in a style I considered being dated. He seemed like the type of man who did not stray from what worked. He smiled and shifted his plump body the moment the car came to a complete stop.

I opened the door and stepped out, smelling the overwhelming floral scent coming from the flowers. The group bowed before smiling at me while I waited for Alejandro to make his way to my side. He floated over while the other guards dispersed into the building.

"Welcome your majesty," the plump man said as we walked over.

"Not a king so highness is fine," I gave a gentle correction.