Chapter 27: Myles

Bernardo and I looked at one another standing alone at the door. My family were waiting in their cars. I could feel their impatience as I was giving my goodbye. Bernardo sensing my uneasiness leaned in for a hug. His scent was making it hard to leave. "I'm going to miss you." I said as we let go of each other.

"Me too, we have spent little time away from each other since the wedding." He caressed my back, turning us slightly so our faces were out of view from prying eyes. "Promise me you will stand up for our people, me, and yourself. It's time they treat you like the adult that you are and for that to happen you have to show them your strength." I gave him a nod, "I will do my best. I promise to protect myself and the things I care about."

I turned to look at my family, who were more like a pack of rabid wolves. After he gave me a kiss on the forehead, we parted for what I knew to be a long week. Bernardo got a lucky draw, getting to spend the weekend with his lovely family. Still, I walked to the car, waving at Alejandro who was taking the week off to see his family, before I stepped in. The moment I closed the door, the car raced off. Luckily I only had to ride with Celine and Nova, who asked a few questions about Bernardo, but didn't move into the prying territory. We then transferred to the jet, which I slept on until we touched down at the palace I used to call home.

I didn't stop to talk after we landed and made my way to my room. When I stepped inside, I saw that was the same as I left it. The television was still playing the same channel I had left it on. The maids changed the sheets, leaving them smelling of vanilla, and they left the lights on in the warm setting.

Compared to the rest of the palace, my room was drab. It was a place I used to get away from all the overt luxury. I picked furniture made from an affordable, neutral toned wood. I based most of the decor in the early twenty-first century. Blush and Lilac fur pillows on couched, and a bed made from lamb's wool. The room fit a wealthy child better than the palace.

"Sir, your family is gathering in the subterranean room for a meeting. I was told to inform you to meet them there," a mousy girl said. She was a maid based on her uniform of all brown. I could tell this would not be the best place for her. I had seen many spunky workers get chewed up by my mother. It was like a sport, and the girl in front of him with huge red eyes would be no different.

"I will be down there momentarily, I need to shower first," I said, dismissing her with a nod before she had the chance to bow. After I sealed the door, I stripped out of my formal uniform and quickly showered. After that I dressed in a simple black outfit someone laid out on the bed, followed by a broach in the shape of my kingdom. The little decoration made me smile, but only for a second. After that, I made my way to the elevator.

"Welcome, Prince Myles of Panama. Where would you like to go?" The digital voice was the kindest thing in the palace. "Subterranean meeting room," I said. The elevator moved as I was speaking and in seconds the bell chimed revealing the cold dark corridor that I walked down months ago. Stepping out of the elevator, I powered down the hallway all the way to the guards at the door who immediately opened the doors for me and secured them after I was inside. I immediately noticed the woman with the beige-toned hair still cropped at her jawline. She had her eyes sealed shut as she wove the mana suppressing barrier around us.

My family all sat around the table and watched as I took the open seat between my sisters, Gina and Viola. I was directly in view of my father. We sat in order of age as Celine was closest to my father and Morris was on the other side next to my mother. My hands rested together on the metal table and I looked around as my siblings whispered to themselves.

"So glad we got to wait on you," My brother Iman, who was the youngest of the triplets, said to me with an annoyed expression. I rolled my eyes at him, knowing it was better to ignore him rather than engage with him. That act earned me an electric shock. My hands shot from the table at the pain and I suppressed the yelp that wanted to build.