*(3) Morning Marauders

With a contented heart, Sophie happily made her way toward the Great Hall, ready to savor a delightful breakfast.

As Sophie gracefully made her way down the long table, she strategically positioned herself near Severus's seat, facing the Gryffindor table. Today, her attention was drawn to the presence of two Marauders—Remus Lupin and Peter Pettigrew. It was an unusual sight, as Peter usually trailed behind Sirius Black and James Potter.

Opting for a breakfast of fried eggs, and toast with a generous spread of honey and butter, Sophie aimed for a meal that would minimize any potential mess. As she ate, her eyes kept wandering toward Lupin and Pettigrew. An uneasy feeling stirred in her stomach, a desire to confront Peter, though now he seemed innocent and frightened.

Amidst her observations, a group of Slytherins passed by, diverting Sophie's attention. Their voices became a distant murmur, unheard by her ears. Remus, absorbed in a book, had Peter peering over his shoulder—an open Potions textbook.

"She's been staring at us for quite some time now. It's kind of creepy," Peter whispered, tugging Remus's sleeve and discreetly pointing in Sophie's direction.

Remus glanced over, trying to identify whom Peter was referring to. "Hmm, it's probably nothing. She's the new transfer student, you know."

Recognition flickered across Peter's face as he realized who she was. "Oh, right... but it's still creepy, especially since she's a Slytherin," he sneered slightly.

As the passing Slytherins drew Sophie's attention away, she found herself captivated by Severus once more. His presence seemed so ordinary, yet she couldn't comprehend why no one liked him. Her gaze remained fixed on him instead of the Marauders.

Severus, aware of her warm stares, was preoccupied with his breakfast. Sophie sensed the impending trouble when Sirius Black and James Potter approached, armed with a slingshot.

"Hey, Snivellus, catch!" James called out, flinging a scoop of jam in Severus's direction. But before it could reach him, Sophie swiftly snatched her Potions book and intercepted the airborne jam, shielding Severus from the sticky assault.

Inches apart from each other, Sophie and Severus locked eyes, a flicker of gratitude and surprise passing between them. No one had ever stood up for Severus before.

Sophie looked down at him, a small smile gracing her lips, and turned her attention to James. "Oi, Potter! Don't be a prat!"

Sirius burst into laughter, thoroughly amused by James's dumbfounded expression. James adjusted his glasses and smoothed his messy hair, straightening up.

"James, you've just been insulted by the transfer student. How does it feel?" Sirius asked sarcastically, sporting a wide grin.

"Oh, I feel like we need to teach the transfer a lesson, even if she is a girl..." James responded, adjusting his robes. He shrugged and resumed his conversation with Peter and Remus.

"It's funny you mentioned the transfer. We were just discussing her. She couldn't stop staring at us until you two showed up," Remus remarked, setting his Potions book aside.

Peering over James's shoulder, Remus noticed Sophie smiling at Severus.

Peter chimed in, "What could she possibly see in him?"

"A Snivellus," James and Sirius simultaneously retorted, exchanging a victorious high-five before returning to their meal, accompanied by laughter.

Sophie started wiping the jam off her Potions book with a napkin that had landed on Severus's head. "Sorry about that. I don't appreciate them picking on you... or anyone else, for that matter."