*(54) Spinner's End

With each passing countryside, they could feel the warmth of the sun seeping through the window, casting a comforting glow inside the train. The hours drifted by, and the train continued its journey until they finally reached the platform, a bit over 12 hours later.

As Sophie woke, she noticed Sirius had been watching over her, a hint of tenderness in his gaze as he sat comfortably with his back towards the aisle, facing the window and her. As she sat up straight, an unusual sense of energy filled her, unlike the usual grogginess or exhaustion she often experienced after such a long rest.

A soft knock at the compartment door drew their attention, and it slid open to reveal Severus, looking slightly disheveled and visibly concerned. His eyes darted between Sophie and Sirius, instinctively reading their body language and Sirius's mind to ensure that everything was right. Reassured, he entered the compartment and settled beside Sophie, placing his suitcase under the seat.

"I guess I'll leave the Slytherin couple be," Sirius quipped, standing up and grabbing his case from above him before making his way out to find James and the others.

Curious, Sophie asked Severus, "So, who did you end up sitting with?"

"I'll give you three guesses who." He snarled as he leaned his head back against the wooden frame.

"I'm guessing it begins with a J and ends with a P." Sophie squandered as she folded the blanket and put it to her other side.

"Ah, correct on the first try. I can't believe I spent 12 hours with that bloke." Severus said as he rubbed his temples and then pinched the brim of his nose. As they reached the station, the train made a near-complete stop, prompting Sophie to stand up, her energy replenished.

"Better get moving while I still have this newfound energy," Severus remarked, gathering his and Sophie's belongings. She carried the blanket and his long coat, which he had taken off due to the increasing warmth as they approached London.

"You're free now, aren't you? You can go and pursue your little dark arts and open your Potion Bakery," Sirius teased as he walked past the compartment.

Severus rolled his eyes in response, and Sophie couldn't help but snicker. "You would look cute in an apron," she teased playfully, giving him a once-over. The grim expression on his face softened, replaced by a small smirk and a faint blush.

As they stepped off the train, the aroma of jostled steam filled the air, and Sophie took a deep breath, relishing the experience of her first time at King's Cross. She wanted to savor every moment, hoping it would be as delightful as she had dreamt.

The station buzzed with activity, families reuniting, and students excitedly talking about their summer plans. Sophie felt a mix of emotions—excitement for the summer ahead with Severus and a touch of sadness at leaving the familiar halls of Hogwarts behind.

To reach Spinner's End in Cokeworth, they had several transportation options: a train to Birmingham followed by a cab to Cokeworth, flying by broom with a cloaking spell, or the most convenient choice—apparition. Severus preferred the latter, having had enough of trains for the day.

"I've had enough of trains for the day. Are you ready to apparate?" Severus asked, holding out his arm.

Sophie hesitated slightly, knowing that the five Gryffindors were watching her from behind Severus since he was facing her directly. "Not yet. I need to take care of a few things first, but I'll meet you near the exit to King's Cross," she reassured him, patting him on the shoulder. With the blanket and Severus's long coat in hand, she weaved her way through the crowd of families eagerly awaiting their beloved graduates.