*(46) Seventh Years' Spinning Pirouette (Part 2)

She took a deep breath, the cool air filling her lungs, then exhaled slowly. "You have five minutes, Padfoot," she stated firmly, giving him a measured amount of time to say his piece. 

Sirius pulled her under the arched column leading into the second district of Hogsmeade. The cold stone of the arch provided a sturdy backdrop to their conversation. He took a deep breath, his breath visible in the chilly air, and closed his eyes for a brief moment. When he opened them, his gaze locked with hers, and it was clear that his intentions were genuine, free from any hint of the usual mischief that often surrounded him.

 When he opened them, his gaze locked with hers, and it was clear that his intentions were genuine, free from any hint of the usual mischief that often surrounded him

"I... want... to apologize for my behavior back in October. I had no right to take advantage of your eagerness to help us in the library... when we stunned you... and what I did in the Shrieking Shack was even worse than that, and I-" he paused because the proper words failed to come out, "I can feel it tugging inside of me, that regret and diabolical feeling, deepening every day and... well, I don't think 'sorry' can cover how I feel," he confessed, scratching the back of his head with a mix of nervousness and sincerity.

Sirius' usually mischievous grey eyes were now filled with an unusual sincerity, devoid of any lustful or gluttonous intentions. As he spoke, Sophie found herself nearly astonished that he had the courage to address the incident that had left both physical and mental scars on her, even though it now felt like a distant dream.

Anticipating a possible rant or a slap in return for his heartfelt speech, Sirius was taken aback when, instead, he felt Sophie's arms wrap around him in an unexpected hug. It was a moment of vulnerability and genuine understanding between the two of them, and he couldn't help but hug her back, cradling her gently. They stayed locked in the embrace for what felt like an eternity, the weight of their past actions and emotions melting away in the warmth of the moment.

Sophie was the first to break the embrace, her voice quivering with emotion as she whispered, "Thank you, Sirius. You have no idea how much this means to me," Tears streamed down her cheeks, and she sought solace by hiding her face with her dress bag. As Sirius stood by her side, he transitioned to a gentle side hug, observing the approaching Gryffindors, including Lily, who smiled knowingly at him.

Lily had been privy to Sirius' internal turmoil, as he confided in her about the pain he felt in his heart and his uncertainty about how to mend it. Her suggestion for him to apologize had led to this transformative moment of healing and understanding. He cared for her deeply and couldn't dare confide in the marauders because of their immaturity.

For Sirius, it felt like a euphoric rush, akin to receiving a package of 20,000 galleons and being told he had won a lifetime supply of chocolate frogs. As he pulled back from the hug, he looked at James and Peter, who were stunned and wide-eyed, their jaws seemingly dropping like flies landing inside their mouths.

Sophie wiped her eyes, a genuine smirk on her lips as she realized that people could indeed change over time. With newfound closure, she gently placed her dress back by her side, feeling lighter and more at peace.