*(50) Seventh Years' Spinning Pirouette (Part 6)

With the final notes of the music playing out, the students came to a stop, the dance floor filled with a flurry of snow, confetti, sparkles, and glitter that cascaded from the ceiling, resembling a mesmerizing winter storm. In that magical moment, the world seemed to fade away, turning color into a monochrome myth, as James leaned down swiftly and kissed her.

He released her lips rather quickly as the bundles of snow fell on top of them and covered both of their expressions. The snow continued to drift down around them, adding a surreal touch to the atmosphere. As James abandoned Sophie's side and returned to Lily, she couldn't help but feel a mix of emotions swirling within her. Her heart was still racing from the unexpected kiss, yet her mind was clouded with anger and frustration. Watching James and Lily exit the Great Hall together only fueled her emotions further.

Seething with fury, Sophie noticed Sirius approaching her, and her guard immediately went up. She was in no mood for small talk or any further schemes. The events of the evening had left her feeling vulnerable and betrayed, and she wasn't about to let Sirius play games with her.

"So how's the ba-" Sirius began, but he was abruptly cut off by Sophie's sharp response.

"You helped him plan this, didn't you?" she spat, her fists clenched tightly, her knuckles turning white with the intensity of her grip.

Sirius looked taken aback, his expression a mix of confusion and concern. "I'm afraid I'm not following, Soph," he said, cautiously taking a step forward, but she instinctively backed away, her eyes darting to where Severus stood across the room, his gaze fixed on them.

"Get away, I bet you even had that apology planned with him to make me look like a fool," Sophie scoffed, wiping her lips as if trying to erase the memory of the kiss.

"Look, I don't know what you're talking about," Sirius protested, his voice tinged with sincerity. "I meant every word in that apology," He reached out a hand towards her shoulder, trying to reassure her, but she darted away from him and took off in a dead sprint to find James and Lily.

Severus observed the heated exchange from a distance and quickly made his way toward Sirius, his emotions conflicting with each step. The anger and protectiveness he felt for Sophie were evident in the way he approached Sirius.

"What happened?" Severus demanded, his tone sharp and accusatory as he confronted Sirius.

"I-I don't know. I came up to talk to her, and she mentioned James and some sort of plan," Sirius stammered, visibly flustered as he removed his mask and loosened the buttons on his suit.

Severus' mind was racing, trying to piece together the puzzle. He knew Sophie was hurt, and he couldn't bear the thought of her being deceived. When Sirius mentioned that she had mentioned a plan involving James, it only added to the confusion.

"Did you see which way she went by chance?" Severus asked urgently, his desire to find Sophie outweighing any animosity between the two houses. Sirius straightened his posture and led Severus in the direction Sophie had run, setting aside their differences for the moment as they joined forces to find their friend and lover.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Sophie's heart pounded in her chest like a thousand war drums, but she couldn't hold herself back, not when she knew James and Lily were just ahead. The luxurious dress she wore, though stunning, felt like a cage, yet she ran with determination and grace, her eyes fixed on the distant voices and echoing footsteps that pierced through the night's silence.

As she ran, the scent of the outdoor courtyard filled her nostrils, mingling with the crisp fragrance of snow. The thin layer of snow beneath her feet crunched with each stride, giving way to a thicker blanket of white that covered the tiles. Moonlight spilled over the courtyard, turning the snow into a sea of shimmering diamonds, guiding her path.