*(10) Managing the Marauders

They reached the exit effortlessly, making their way toward the Great Hall, where the grand feast awaited them, promising a cornucopia of delectable delights and the camaraderie of their housemates.

As they entered the great hall, a mix of Gryffindors and Ravenclaws already occupied the space, their vibrant robes and animated conversations creating a lively atmosphere. Instead of following Severus to the Slytherin table, she immediately spotted Lily Evans amidst the sea of red and gold and made her way over to the Gryffindors.

"Hey, Lily," she greeted with a warm smile, taking a seat next to her friend. "I just received some news from Dumbledore, and it's both the worst and the best."

Lily looked up from her glass on the wooden table, her green eyes sparkling with curiosity. "Alright, spill the beans. What's this 'worst great news' all about?" she asked playfully, mimicking Sophie's quotation with her fingers.

"Well, brace yourself because I've been assigned to keep an eye on four mischievous Gryffindor boys. Any guesses who they might be?" Sophie asked with a mischievous twinkle in her eyes.

Lily raised an eyebrow, then replied with a hint of amusement, "I can already imagine who those four troublemakers are. Oh," she paused and glanced behind Sophie, "And here come my four guesses."

Sophie turned to see the boys she was tasked with watching over, their playful banter and boisterous laughter drawing attention. Not that she particularly cared about their well-being, but it was for the greater good of everyone. She sighed inwardly, suppressing a genuine smile with a carefully crafted facade.

"Looks like we've been invaded by the enemy," Sirius commented, flashing a charismatic grin as he took a seat on Sophie's left side.

"Seems like it," added James, plopping down between Sophie and Lily. Remus and Peter settled opposite them, fully aware that they were about to witness some lively interaction. Sirius scooted closer to Sophie, fully aware of her aversion towards his friends.

"Ah, perfect timing, you four," Sophie said, straightening up in her seat, her tone laced with a hint of playful sarcasm. "Dumbledore gave me a pretty tough task yesterday. Wanna know what it is?" She teased, her eyes dancing with mischief.

Sirius raised an eyebrow, his expression curious, and both he and James chimed in simultaneously, their voices blending in unison.

"Yes."

"No."

"Alright then," she said, feigning disappointment and preparing to stand up. "I guess I'll keep it to myself."

"Wait," Remus interjected, his voice laced with genuine curiosity. "Go ahead and tell us. It can't be anything we shouldn't know."

She settled back down, a playful glint in her eyes. "Dumbledore put me in charge of you lot."

There was a brief moment of silence as the weight of her words sank in. Then James spoke up, his grin widening before fading almost instantly. "No, seriously. Tell us," he urged, his voice filled with a mixture of curiosity and apprehension.

She glanced at James, her gaze a mix of concern and mischief, smirking mischievously. "I can't be serious when Sirius is here," she replied, leaning back slightly to give James a clear view of Sirius' startled expression.

"Do you think you're funny?" Sirius sighed, his tone lacking amusement.

"Just trying to lighten the mood..." she replied nonchalantly, starting to stand up again. "Remus, I'll have it ready tomorrow if you want to meet in the courtyard."

Remus hesitated for a moment, his gaze wandering before meeting hers with a nod. "I'll make sure to be there."

"I know it might sound harsh, but I'm only doing this to protect Severus from your pranks. He's had a tough life already, and he doesn't need anyone at school making it worse," she paused, her gaze shifting towards Severus, who had quietly joined the Slytherin table. More students entered the hall, and the noise of their conversation grew louder. "Hogwarts is his haven."