*(25) Eclipsed Edge of Death

If she could find her voice at that moment, Sophie couldn't determine what she would do. She felt torn between the desperate need to express her inner turmoil and the overwhelming sadness that had settled upon her, a result of being stunned and forcibly dragged into this hellish situation.

She lay motionless on the bed, accumulating a layer of dust upon her still form. The faint scent of Sirius's cologne lingered in the air, mingling with the musty smell of the old shack. Sophie yearned to rid herself of the dust, the suffocating presence that clung to her, along with the disturbing thoughts that plagued her mind.

Desperation overcame her as she longed for someone, anyone, to come to her rescue. What had once been a cherished dream had now turned into a nightmarish reality as she grew closer to Severus, an unexpected twist she had failed to foresee. The weight of their connection and the impending danger bore down on her, a suffocating burden that threatened to extinguish her hope.

Yet, regardless of her suffering, she couldn't bear the thought of Severus being alone. He deserved happiness, her light in a world steeped in darkness, despite the irony of his black eyes and dark hair that characterized him within the castle. The thought of his loneliness, the years spent without anyone to comfort him, weighed heavily on her heart. It fueled her determination to endure and survive.

'I can't break any more promises to him. He has endured six years without anyone to comfort him. He shut Lily out in his second year, and he has been alone ever since...' Her thoughts raced, a whirlwind of emotions and memories colliding in her mind, causing a searing pain in the right side of her brain that threatened to explode.

Deciding to rest her eyes for the remaining time, whether it be hours or minutes, she wanted to savor the sounds of nature and the gentle sway of the Shack before Remus's arrival and the impending transformation that would follow. The rustling of leaves outside, the distant chirping of birds, and the creaking of the old structure provided a temporary respite from the turmoil that consumed her.

As she closed her eyes, a soft hum escaped her lips, a familiar melody that provided solace amidst the chaos. It was "The Last Song Ever," a ballad by her favorite solo artist, Secondhand Serenade. The name of the artist's band evoked a serenade of joyous and intertwining sounds and melodies. She could feel the lyrics resonating within her as the hum matched the melody in her head, the song truly encapsulating her emotions at that moment.

With every note, every word, she poured her heart into the song:

"I wish my life was this song, 'cause songs they never die

I could write for years and years, never have to cry

I'd show you how I feel without saying a word

I could wrap up both our hearts, I know it sounds absurd.

And I saw the tears on your face, I shot you down

And I slammed the door but couldn't make a sound

So please stay sweet, my dear, don't hate me now

And I can't tell how this last song ends.

The way that I feel tonight, so down, so down

I pray I can swim just so I won't drown

In the waves that crash over me

I'm gasping for air, take my hand so I can breathe

As I write this last song down.

And I saw the tears on your face, I shot you down

And I slammed the door but couldn't make a sound

So please stay sweet, my dear, don't hate me now