*(16) Mr. Scamander

With that in mind, she made her way downstairs for a quick breakfast, preparing herself to confront the very definition of trouble.

As Sophie gracefully maneuvered through the castle corridors, a deep sense of worry enveloped her being. The thought of Severus being ambushed once again cast a shadow over her thoughts, intensifying her unease. The mere notion of him in pain ignited a surge of anguish within her heart, aching with empathy and concern.

Rounding a corner in the majestic Great Hall, Sophie found herself on the verge of a collision with Dumbledore, who materialized seemingly out of thin air, nearly toppling her over in the process. Startled by the unexpected encounter, she quickly composed herself, her voice betraying a hint of clumsiness as she apologized, "Oh, sorry, sir. I wasn't watching my own feet."

With a tranquil demeanor, Dumbledore reassured her, "That's all right. I was searching the Slytherin table for you. I have a special guest you might want to meet." His arms crossed behind his back, emanating an air of anticipation and mystery.

Sophie's mind whirled, trying to process the sudden revelation. "You mean...?"

A gentle nod from Albus confirmed her hopes, sparking a surge of excitement that raced through her veins. "Professor... er... Headmaster, I would be thrilled! I've always wanted to meet him!" Her thoughts tumbled with exhilaration, mirroring the gleam in Albus's eyes, which she happily caught.

Albus guided her towards the path to his main office, and as he strode purposefully towards the Phoenix statue that concealed the entrance, Sophie's anticipation grew immeasurably. She practically sprinted towards the statue, her eagerness propelling her forward. Uttering a few whispered words, she elicited the statue's response, causing it to open its hidden passage. With fervor in her steps, she ascended the enchanted staircase, each wing carrying her closer to the momentous encounter that awaited her. Breathless yet filled with anticipation, she stumbled slightly over the last step, quickly steadying herself and catching her breath.

Inside Dumbledore's office, the aged headmaster had already settled into his desk, indulging in the delights of a box of chocolates. Sophie's gaze swept across the room, her eyes landing on a figure perched atop a movable ladder, fully immersed in studying Albus's treasured books and possessions.

The man's hair, though still tousled, had gained a distinguished touch of gray, silently hinting at the passage of time and wisdom. Memories of their last acquaintance in 1928 flooded Sophie's mind, contrasting vividly with the reality of 1971—a leap through the years. Yet, his features retained a captivating handsomeness, even when observed from behind.

Clad in a black, trench-like coat over a tanned leather vest and a black and yellow scarf, proudly displaying his allegiance to Hufflepuff, the man stood as one of the few representatives of the house whom Sophie truly respected throughout the ages of Hogwarts. Though she had never been overtly drawn to Hufflepuffs, her sentiment didn't extend to disliking them either.

Temporarily setting aside her thoughts, Sophie watched as the man gracefully descended the ladder, wand between his lips and a stack of books tucked securely under his left arm. Reaching the final step, he carefully placed the books on the corner of Albus's desk, before turning his gaze towards Sophie.

In that fleeting moment, their eyes met—his shadowed blue orbs connecting with her deep brown pools—an encounter rare for him. His gaze is typically averted, concealed by a carefully crafted persona. The unexpected intensity of the moment rendered Sophie momentarily speechless, her steps instinctively drawing her closer to him.

With a deft movement, he released his wand from his mouth, tucking it away in his pocket, and attempted a smile that tugged at the corners of his bottom lip, a touch of awkwardness lacing his expression. Then, he extended his hand toward her.