*(47) Seventh Years' Spinning Pirouette (Part 3)

With that, the two Slytherins made their way to the Great Hall, where they were met with a cheerful quartet of Gryffindor boys, a beaming Gryffindor girl, and a smiling headmaster, setting the stage for an evening of camaraderie and joy.

Dumbledore's voice filled the Great Hall as he stood up to make his nightly announcement. The students listened attentively, their exhaustion from another day of exams giving way to excitement for the upcoming Christmas Eve Masquerade. "Another exhausting day has passed for our seventh-years and that means we are another day closer to the annual Christmas Eve Masquerade. For the seventh-year students, be sure to bring a date, hunger, and a thrilling spirit," he advised with a twinkle in his eye. "And during select waltzes, partners will be traded, so no one feels left out. Have a great evening and enjoy your meals," he concluded, waving his hand as the food magically appeared once more.

Amidst the delicious spread, Sophie's attention was drawn to the reactions of her fellow students. "Aw's" and "Wow's" filled the air, and she couldn't resist looking up to see what had caused such awe. The Great Hall was now adorned with exquisite Christmas decorations, ranging from majestic Pine trees to the tiniest mistletoe buds that bloomed upon arrival. Just behind the Slytherin table, a stunning pine tree stood, emanating the delightful scent of Christmas.

For a moment, Sophie thought she saw a house-elf vanish next to the tree, but she dismissed it, assuming it was merely her tired imagination playing tricks after spending the day with the Gryffindors. Returning her focus to her dinner, she and Severus began eating, their conversation flowing seamlessly.

"So, for your mask, it doesn't necessarily have to match my dress. I think it would be more appropriate for it to match your tie," Sophie suggested between bites.

Severus nodded thoughtfully. "I'll give that exclusive consideration this weekend. Once we're back in the room, I need to focus all my efforts on studying for the Herbology exam. I heard the ministry is making either Herbology or Defense Against the Dark Arts particularly challenging this year, and as I have a keen interest in the latter, I should prioritize Herbology," he explained with his characteristic discerning manner.

"I love the way you think. Your mind is sharp and decisive, leaving no room for uncertainty," Sophie complimented, taking a sip of her pumpkin juice, which had become as familiar and comforting as water to her after many mornings and nights of partaking in the Hogwarts meals.

After finishing their meals, Sophie and Severus hastened back to their room so that Severus could begin studying for his exams with the Hufflepuffs. He knew they provided a relaxed environment for testing, easing his worries about focusing during the proctored exam. However, his anxiety was reserved for the following day when he had to face the Defense Against the Dark Arts exam with the Gryffindors. Thankfully, only Remus was taking a NEWT-level course among the Gryffindors, sparing the other three from that challenge.

As the evening progressed, Sophie found herself experiencing conflicting feelings about the Gryffindor boys. While she felt herself inching towards forgiveness for the incident that had nearly cost her life two months ago, clouds of doubt still blocked her mind from fully letting go of the resentment. The emotional moment with Sirius had made her realize that people could change, even giving her a glimmer of hope that she might have a chance to save Tom. She pitied herself for allowing his memory to creep back into her thoughts.

Shifting her focus to the upcoming masquerade ball, Sophie felt the excitement building within her. She had always dreamt of attending a real masquerade, not the frat party or prom versions she had experienced in the past. She yearned to dance gracefully to the music, letting her mind flow as freely as it did when she sang or listened to a beautiful melody. Tchaikovsky's finest compositions and Beethoven's symphonies were the kind of music she wished to move to, but most people her age seemed content with awkwardly swaying their hips, barely noticing their dates. In her heart, Sophie wanted more from the masquerade – to twirl and dance, swept away in the enchanting rhythm of the music.