*(62) Kreacher

With a shared understanding, they cleaned their dishes together and then went their separate ways: Severus to rest and regain his energy, and Sophie to contemplate the mysterious locket of Slytherin that had found its way to her.

The latch of the door clicked softly as she turned the knob to walk out of their cozy little cottage. The autumn air greeted her with its crispness, leaving a delightful chill on her skin. The sky above was a vibrant blue, and the sun's warm rays filtered through the golden leaves that adorned the trees. She took in a deep breath, savoring the clarity of the moment. With a swift and practiced motion, she raised her wand and whispered, "Revelio," under her breath. The magical incantation sent a gentle ripple of energy through the air, causing the Order of the Phoenix safe-house, also known as the Blackhouse, to shudder ever so slightly in response, unnoticed by the muggles who continued about their mundane lives.

With purposeful steps, Sophie made her way towards the safe-house. Her heels rhythmically collided with the stone brick entryway, each sound echoing through her nerves. She felt an unusual nervousness creeping into her heart, uncertain of what to expect when she would come face to face with Kreacher. The house-elf had endured unspeakable horrors at the hands of Voldemort, nearly losing his life during the testing of the Horcrux. Sophie felt a mix of guilt and understanding; she comprehended the necessity of Tom's profound methods in gathering information, but at the same time, she couldn't help but feel terrible for the pain Kreacher had endured.

Taking a deep breath to steady herself, Sophie gulped nervously before knocking on the sturdy hardwood door. The sound echoed through the hallway as she waited patiently for a response, knowing that there would at least be someone home.

The latch on the door clicked with an intense pop, and the door creaked open slowly, revealing an empty entryway. Sophie stepped inside, the cool air of the house wrapping around her. Closing the door behind her, she let out a sigh. The silence of the house felt heavy, laden with memories of the past and the anticipation of the future.

"Kreacher?" she called out, her voice echoing through the halls as she moved into the familiar kitchen. She glanced up the set of stairs that she recognized from her visions of the future. "Kreacher, it's Miss Bussell," she said, feeling a strange sense of detachment using her future self's name.

From the corner of the kitchen, she heard rattling coming from a cupboard next to the window sill. Her heart skipped a beat, knowing that it was one of Kreacher's hiding spots. Determined, she walked over and sat at the chair by the sill, gently knocking on the cupboard door.

There was a moment of hesitance, but then the door creaked open, revealing Kreacher's small face. The elf's eyes looked weary, as though the light had not touched him in days. Traces of lashings and bruises marred his frail body, and Sophie's heart ached at the sight. Without a second thought, she extended her hand to him, offering support and understanding. With her help, Kreacher emerged from the cramped cupboard, his eyes meeting Sophie's with a mix of surprise and gratitude.

 With her help, Kreacher emerged from the cramped cupboard, his eyes meeting Sophie's with a mix of surprise and gratitude