*(69) Riddle's Power

The mark of a serpent on her left arm.

Sophie deliberately chose to leave Hogsmeade early that Sunday, knowing she had the entire day before returning on Monday morning. The prospect of having a full day of solitude and freedom was a soothing balm for her mind, providing a much-needed break from the mounting stress of studying and the looming threat of war.

As she stepped into the carriage, she made sure Sirius saw her before dashing off into the woods on the outskirts of town. The thin roads, well-trodden by centuries of travelers, guided her path. The earthy scents of pine, elm, and oak wafted through the air, filling her senses with a comforting familiarity. For a fleeting moment, she entertained the notion of building a secluded shack where she could find solace in owning a part of the serene forest. But reality tugged at her, reminding her of the imminent danger and the lives at stake, quashing her daydreams.

How dare she think about her dreams.

As she continued her solitary journey, a strange sensation crept into her mind. Doubts and conflicting thoughts surfaced, intruding upon her inner peace. She knew she had never questioned her thoughts and emotions before, making her acutely aware that someone or something was tampering with her mind. The realization only fueled her determination to resist any external influence on her innermost thoughts and feelings.

Suddenly, a searing pain shot through her arm, causing her to wince in agony. Her gaze swiftly fell to her forearm, where the dark mark of a serpent seemed to writhe and move with an eerie speed. The pattern was a dreaded reminder of her past, and its presence now was a clear signal that someone was trying to communicate with her, someone sinister. He was signaling her.

Taking a deep breath, she braced herself for whatever awaited her on the other side. Focusing on her destination, she prepared to apparate, either willingly or forcefully. The world around her blurred, and the jarring sensation of apparition washed over her. When reality reasserted itself, she found herself outside an unfamiliar estate, a place she had never visited before. The gravity of the situation weighed heavily on her, and she steeled herself for the unknown that awaited within those formidable walls.

 The gravity of the situation weighed heavily on her, and she steeled herself for the unknown that awaited within those formidable walls

As Sophie approached the ominous Manor, the sight before her sent a shiver down her spine. The lifeless trees and withered ferns lining the pathway leading to the front entrance gave the estate a ghastly appearance. The small pond nearby was now caked in gunk, and its stone cascades had lost their former luster, resembling the color of limestone. The sky, though obscured by clouds, added to the eerie atmosphere, making the manor look even more haunting.

If it had been a sunnier day, the estate might not have seemed as foreboding, but the gloomy weather only heightened the dread. As she ventured further, maneuvering through dead bushes and brittle twigs, her eyes caught sight of a graveyard to the right of the manor, an unsettling reminder of the dark history lurking within its walls.