CHAPTER 18

I walked down to the village. It was a beautiful place lit with glowing lights. I remember going to a village with Ryan once. Apparently he said it was old village. I wonder if it was anything like this?

But I felt it, there was darkness. People were whispering amongst themselves, discussing and debating on what this everlasting night means. 

I'm sure everyone is frightened. I made sure I pulled my hood over my head. No one should be able to see my face. 

The familiar scent of the bakery was in the air. I didn't realise how hungry I was. I followed the smell and found the cute little store filled with goodies. 

I shivered. It was cold anyways. I went inside and was welcomed by a warm room smelling of delicious pastries. 

I got myself some cookies and a hot chocolate. I was the only one in the cafe. I sat by myself and enjoyed my treat. 

"I'm sorry, may I sit with you?" I look up and see an old woman smiling, "I've been working all day here and I just wanted some company on my break."

I slowly nodded my head. Cautious of this woman, or anyone for that matter, "So you work here?"

"I own the place, honey,"

My brows raised in surprise, "Oh wow. Well everything you've made is very delicious."

She smiles sincerely, "Thank you, Honey. It gives an old woman joy to know that her baking is loved."

I smiled in agreement and looked out the window and up at the beautiful moon. I always find myself looking at the moon. 

"Beautiful, isn't it?" Says the woman. 

I nodded my head, "Yes, yes it is."

"Everyone panicked when they first discovered what was happening."

I turn from the moon and looked to the woman, "And you're not?" I questioned curiously.

She stirs her cup of tea, "No."

I lean in slightly and took a sip of my hot drink, "What do you think it means? The end of the world? The end of Arcanus?"

She softly giggled, "No, nothing of the sort. I see it as a sign."

I tilted my head to the side, "A sign for what?"

"There are some people in Arcanus that are very important," She explains, "My theory is that someone important had disrupted the balance in the heavens."

Okay...so this is a crazy lady, "The balance? What do you mean?"

The old woman leans in, "Arcanus needs a balance in order to survive or else chaos will leave this world in ruins. The same principle applies to the heavens. However, if there is an imbalance in the heavens...then there is imbalance everywhere," She looks up at the moon and says, "I think this is a sign that heavens have been disturbed, or a god is displeased."

"Which god?" I asked curiously. 

"The moon goddess. Us wolves, as well as many others, are creatures of the night. It would be the Moon Goddess causing this."

Okay then. I believed in the Moon Goddess because it is a part of our religion and history as wolves, but I'm not sure what this lady was talking about. And also I was tired of talking about it. I am sure the Hellhounds are still figuring out why this is happening.

"If you do not mind me asking...how old are you?" Trying to change the subject.

She smiles micheviously, "I am very old. But I am a lycan so I guess it is expected."