Oneshot #22: Date Night

This fanfiction takes place after MyStreet Season 6: When Angels Fall. It is in no way canon to the original story. All characters belong to Aphmau on YouTube, please support the original creator. Thanks! (P.S. The music above is from Gorillaz. Go and support them. Enjoy their relaxing music whilst reading this chapter. 💞)
-
Nana yawned in exhaustion.
Calvin had kept the couple awake all night with his fussing, making her resort to cuddling the baby close in-between his parents.
Zane had an arm protectively wrapped around both of them, and Nana felt herself smile softly at the gesture. She wriggled out of her husbands grasp, getting up to prepare breakfasts. This woke Zane.
"Nana.." He groaned, his tiredness apparent, "Why are you waking up so soon?"
Nana giggled at him, rolling her eyes. "Because," She drew out, uncovering Zane swiftly, "I need to make breakfast for us. Can you change Calvin this morning?"
Zane mumbled something incoherent, before reluctantly nodding his head.
"Thank you, Zuzu," Nana sang, kissing his forehead. She left Zane and Calvin alone in the bedroom.
Calvin cooed softly in Zane's arms. Zane lifted him from the bed to the changing table, grabbing a diaper from the drawer.
After the changing, the father snapped up his sons onesie delicately, and carried him downstairs.
The boys were met with Nana making pancakes, her pink apron tied in a bow around her waist. Zane placed Calvin in his high chair before kissing his wife's cheek, hugging her from behind.
"Ah! Zane, you scared me!" Nana jumped, the hair rising on her neck. She calmed down as he snuggled into her neck, kissing it softly.
"Sorry," Zane mumbled, tightening his grip on her waist.
Nana sighed, smiling to herself. I love him.
"Zane, could you please loosen your grip for just a moment? I need to reach that spat—"
Zane cut her off, reaching for the said spatula and handing it to her. He pulled away for a moment, turning Nana to face him.
"Hey, Kitten? Do you think.. well I was thinking.." He trailed off. Ah, why am I so nervous? Zane thought, mentally scolding himself. Nana hummed to herself while cutting up a pancake for Calvin, tossing the pieces onto a baby plate and giving it to her son. Calvin cooed happily as Zane continued.
"Do you think we could have a date night tonight?" He finally said.
Nana giggled at his shyness.
"Zane," She teased, "You don't have to ask like I'm your high school crush.."
Zane blushed, scratching the back of his neck awkwardly. "I-I know, it's just we haven't done something like a date in a long time, and I miss it," The male stammered, his eyes darting to their son for a moment.
"What about Calvin, though?" Nana asked, practically reading Zane's mind.
Zane waved his hand nonchalantly, "Don't worry, I already asked Travis and Katelyn if they could watch him tonight."
Nana beamed at her husband brightly.
"Irene, I could use a break.. but he's so young, what if they-"
She was cut off by Zane's lips meeting hers. He shushed her, rolling his eyes jokingly.
"Don't worry so much," He laughed, "Calvin will be fine. They have a baby too, remember?"
Calvin let out a little giggle from his high chair, distracting the couple.
"Da!" He yelled, and Zane felt his heart speed up.
"Did he just.." Zane rushed over to his son's high chair, "Nana, I think he's going to say Daddy!"
Nana quickly got her phone from her pocket, swiping to the recording option.
"D-D.." The baby stuttered, and Zane smiled expectantly. Nana couldn't contain her giggle.
"You two are too much," The Meif'wa sputtered, covering her mouth in attempt to stay quiet.
"Daddy!" Calvin finally cooed, and Zane looked almost shocked beyond belief, before the father scooped up his son and swung him around.
"Zane! Hey, be careful!" Nana scolded Zane as he handled Calvin somewhat roughly. "He's alright," Zane dismissed her fears, placing the boy onto his play rug.
"I can't believe that just happened," Zane smiled proudly, "And I can't believe he said Daddy before Mommy.."
Nana hit Zane's arm out of annoyance.
"Ouch," Zane faked being wounded, "Man, Kitten's got claws.."
Nana scowled. "Stop with the Dad jokes. You're making yourself look old."
Her husband pouted for a moment before shrugging, "To be fair, I am a Dad."
...
"Katelyn, it means a lot to us that you would watch Calvin on such short notice," Nana thanked her friend, to which Katelyn shook her head dismissively. "Don't be ridiculous, of course we would! Travis has off on Wednesday, anyway, so we have extra hands in the house. Don't worry about Calvin, he'll be fine here."
Zane mumbled something in response, which Nana happened to catch.
"Zane, don't be rude," She hissed. Katelyn chuckled, before changing her face to a serious expression.
"Hurt her and you're dead, got it?" The blue haired girl threatened, and Zane looked unnerved at her tone, shrugging it off.
"I wouldn't hurt her anyway."
Katelyn let a soft smile spread across her face, before she took the baby bag from Nana's hands, along with Calvin in his baby carrier.
"You guys have fun, then. Bring her back by at least 9:30, Zane! Kawaii~Chan has to get her beauty sleep," Katelyn warned, and Zane slapped his forehead in response.
"We're picking up Calvin at 9:00, Katelyn!"
...
"Zane, why won't you tell me where you're taking us?" Nana whined, her tail twitching out of excitement. Zane just continued driving the car, smiling mischievously.
"C'mon! Please?" Nana pouted, and Zane responded quickly, "Nope. It's a surprise."
"Don't be a grumpy Nugget," Nana teased, and Zane growled, pulling up his mask to cover his blush.
"I like it when you get all edgy, it's cute," She purred, "I miss it."
Zane gave his wife a side glance, cracking a smile. "Really? How much?"
"Like, a lot."
"Well, maybe I'll have to be like that more often, if you like it so much."
Nana laughed to herself, smiling contently as she looked outside her lightly tinted car window. Zane tried to keep his eyes on the road, but Nana was being too adorable for him to not steal a couple of glances.
"We're here," Zane announced, pulling into a field.
"Where the hell are we?" Nana yelled, before she looked ahead of her.
There, peeking over the horizon, was a beautiful sunset.
"You're cheesy," Nana crossed her arms, smirking at her husband who had a triumphant look on his face.
"What can I say?" Zane responded, taking her hand.
They sat on the hood of the car, staring over the horizon for a while. Nana was the first to break the quiet air between them.
"Zane?"
"Hm?"
"How did you decide you loved me?"
Nana turned to her husband, who looked thoughtful for a moment, eyes twinkling from the brightness of the light ahead of them.
"I didn't really decide," Zane whispered, "It just happened. I woke up one day and I.. I couldn't stop thinking about you. It was like a switch went off in my head. I felt so bad about you being stuck in that stupid suitcase. I felt like you deserved better.."
Nana felt her face flush, and she sighed pleasurably before responding.
"You deserve so much better than me, though,"
She whispered, and Zane grabbed her chin delicately, turning Nana to look at him.
"Nana.. don't you ever go saying things like that. I'm blessed to call you my wife. You are unique, and special, and we have the most adorable son in the whole world.." Zane said, moving a piece of hair away from his wife's face. "You are beautiful inside and out. I mean that."
Nana cuddled into Zane's side, and she turned her eyes back to the sunset, which was practically gone, starting to be replaced by the night sky.
"I love you. I love you.." Nana whispered into his sweatshirt, and Zane looked down at her, mask dangling from his face.
"I love you more, Nana."
"Impossible."
The couple stayed cuddled up to each other as the stars began to dot the night sky. Nana's eyes began to droop, the overwhelming warmth of Zane overtaking her senses. They were sprawled out on the hood of Zane's old Mustang before he finally nudged his wife awake.
"Kitten.. you can't fall asleep, we need to go and get Cal.."
"Nng.."
Zane chuckled softly, picking up Nana's limp body and carrying her to the front seat. The Meif'wa fell fast asleep on impact with the inside of the car, her soft snores filling the air.
...
By the time they'd reached Travis and Katelyn's house, Travis was waiting on the front porch with Calvin in his arms. The little boy was as fast asleep as his mother.
"Sorry for being a little late, Travis," Zane apologized, closing the car door. Travis smiled understandingly, handing Zane his son and the bag they'd provided for the night.
"You really do love her, don't you Zane?" Travis mused, and Zane looked at him inquisitively.
"O-Of course I do.." Zane muttered defensively. "She's my wife.. and I'd cross mountains for her. I'm sure you'd do the same for Katelyn.."
Travis chuckled softly, a blush painting his cheeks as he nodded his head.
"Yeah, you're right.. I definitely would. You take care, Zane.."
And for the first time in a while, Zane Ro'Meave smiled at Travis Valkrum.
They shared a mutual understanding; they would do anything for their lovers. It was hardly spoken, but the look that the two men shared was enough to say "I love her more than you know."
...
"Zane.." Nana murmured groggily, as her husband picked her up from the car seat, carrying her inside. Calvin was in his other hand in the baby carrier.
"Zane, I can walk.. it's fine," Nana whispered, being careful not to wake the baby.
"Don't worry about it, Nana.."
When they were inside at last, Zane placed his wife and son down on their bed. Nana cuddled up to Calvin, arms curling around his tiny body. Zane smiled to himself, letting out a content hum.
"Zane.. I feel like it's empty."
Zane cocked his head tiredly at his wife, and she looked back at him with a half-lidded, doughy gaze.
"What.. what do you mean?" Zane asked her softly. A small smile spread across Nana's cheeks.
"The house. I think I want another baby.. eventually.." Nana whispered, as she dozed off to sleep. Slow breathing filled the silence of the bedroom as Zane processed her words.
"Hah.. Irene.." Zane breathed, cuddling up against his family, eventually falling asleep himself. It was peaceful.
It was practically perfect.
-
I wanted to apologize for not uploading a chapter for a long while; quite honestly, I had writers block. Don't worry, I won't be discontinuing this book!
Thank you for 4K reads. Every read means a lot to me. Your nice comments give me determination to write more, so thank you very much for your kind words! I made this chapter nice and long for your reading enjoyment as makeup for my absence. I hope you enjoyed! 💞