Oneshot #27: Time Flies

This fanfiction takes place after MyStreet Season 6: When Angels Fall. It is in no way canon to the original story. All characters belong to Aphmau on YouTube, please support the original creator. Thanks!
Note: Time Jump
-

"Daddy, giraffes!" Cate shrieked, standing upon a zoo bench.

"Don't stand on that, Catie-Cat, you'll fall," Zane chided, lifting the tiny 4-year-old and repositioning her on the seat properly.

A voice called from behind him.

"We're back with juice!" Nana announced. Their son, Calvin, trailed behind her. He looked embarrassed at his mother's loud voice, lowering his gaze.

"Mom, you're being so loud! There's so many people here," Calvin began, but his father cut him off.

"Hey. Don't be rude to your mother, Calvin, I don't want to have to scold you when we're supposed to be having a nice day together," Zane said, shutting down the conversation.

"Hmm.." Nana seemed to engrossed in the zoo map she was holding to have noticed their tense conversation.

Zane sighed in relief. The less conflict, the better. Now that Calvin had begun his pre-teens, a raging 9-year-old was becoming increasingly more difficult for the parents to wrangle.

"Why don't we go and see the otters?" Nana offered, taking her daughter's hand. Cate sipped at her juice-box, smiling wildly.

"I 'wan see the ott-as!" She jumped up and down, excited.

"Then it's settled. Otters," Zane kissed his wife on the cheek lovingly, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear.

"Yuck," Calvin muttered. He was clearly still digging for reasons to argue with his father, especially after their previous unresolved exchange.

Zane didn't take it the way Calvin had figured. He just laughed it off, shrugging his shoulders. "You'll understand one day. Just not now."

The boy blinked at his father, bewildered by that answer. He realized he had begun to fall behind with the rest of his family, and Calvin jogged to catch up.

"What do you mean?" He questioned. "Some day? When?"

"Look, 'Cal. You don't want to shut people out. It.. it doesn't help anything," Was all Zane said in response.

His son wasn't necessarily satisfied with the answer, but he shrugged it off as they approached the otter tanks.

"So pretty.." Cate pressed her face against the glass. Zane ruffled her hair, smiling to himself.

"Somebodies in a good mood. Did you talk to Calvin?" Nana moved closer to her husband, whispering the words in his ear.

"I did. I think he just needs time. I wasn't exactly a perfect angel in my pre-teens, either." Zane shot a playful glance at her, a teasing smile on his lips.

"I know," Nana laughed, hitting his arm with her sweater sleeve. "You were also handsome though."

"Handsome?" Zane cocked an eyebrow, wrapping an arm around his wife's waist.

"Yeah," She breathed in response. She began staring at the otters in the water, mesmerized by their swift movement and overall grace.

"I have to say, I never considered myself handsome in High School," He smirked, "Do tell me more."

"Well.. your eyes are beautiful, and even though you put on a tough exterior, you're really just a big baby deep down," Nana snickered.

"I love you," Zane whispered, leaning his head on hers. He glanced at where his daughter had just been, finding that Cate had disappeared.

Just then Calvin walked over to his parents, motioning at Cate who had practically gotten lost in the sea of children.

"Oh, Irene," Nana cried, scooping up her daughter quickly. "Thank you for keeping an eye on her, 'Cal, we got distracted for a moment."

Calvin mumbled a 'welcome' and gave his sister her stuffed animal. Cate beamed back at him.

The big brother felt his heart melt a little. Cate didn't judge him. She just saw him as big brother, not a loser or a freak. And maybe.. being with his family wasn't so embarrassing after all.

Even if having a sibling was annoying sometimes, he still wouldn't trade her for the world.

-

I haven't updated for months, apologies! I'm going to shift this book to be even more about Calvin and his experiences with his family. Don't worry, though, there's still Zane~Chan! (Of course, haha)

Thanks for reading! 💕