Chapter 6. Winona. Day 38.

I ran back to my room, closing the door hard. My heart was racing, I pushed my feet into a pair of old shoes, pulling a sweater onto my arms. I grabbed the pink spray painted baseball bat from under Molly's bed, jumping onto the dresser, pushing the window open. I crawled out onto the roof, pushing it closed again. I crawled carefully across the roof, crawling down where the side of the house met the fence.

My legs carried me to Ferris' car, pulling on the door handle. The door remained in placed, locked. I looked back at the house, hearing Marty and Randall whispering from the backyard. The doors unlocked, sending me into the air. I looked back to the car, pulling the trunk open. I crawled in, quickly pulling the hatch closed. The noise was loud, echoing in the cold, quiet streets.

I could hear the car doors open, closing hard again. I held the bat close to my chest, listening to Marty and Randall's conversation. "Yeah, we're probably going to die."

"Yeah, I can't wait. There's going to be so many corpses and it's going to be horrifying." Randall's monotone voice was muffled through the seats. I was trembling in my cold spot.

The car started, rumbling to life. I looked at the glowing pull tag. My hand reached out for it, being jerked away by the car moving.

"Wait!" Marty shouted from within the car.

It continued moving, Ferris' voice filling the small space. "No, Martin. No more waiting."

I could hear Marty sigh. "Stop!"

The car was moving quickly, turning around corners sharply. "No, you stop Martin. You're an asshole, all the time, to all of us. What you said to Winona was mean. She just wanted to help."

"You said yourself that she wasn't allowed to come. I'm just trying to enforce it, right now!" Marty screamed back. He knew I was in the trunk.

"No, Marty! You were being an jerk! You're always a jerk! What the fuck is wrong with you?" My sister joined in.

Silence filled the car as we came to a stop. A door flew open, followed by Marty's voice. "She's in the trunk, I was trying to tell you."

The door slammed closed. I clutched the bat closer, watching the trunk pop open. "Get the fuck out. Do you know how to swing that?"

I sat up, crawling out of the small trunk, shaking my head no. Marty rolled his bright green eyes, walking closer to the building. The glass automatic doors were broken, glass covering the sidewalk near.

Marty walked through it, kicking pieces aside. He stepped through the doors. "Get back here!" Molly whispered to the both of us.

"No, I'm going for it." He sounded crazy as he walked further in. A car door open and closed, Randall sprinting past me to this best friend.

"Dude, you need more than a 12-year-old with a pink baseball bat." He pulled the gun out from his waistband. I moved the bat up, ready to swing. The building was hauntingly silent. I walked further in, hearing my brother and sister exit the car.

They rushed to my side, pushing me further forward. "You're dead for this." Molly bent down, whispering to me. She beat her hand against a flashlight, shining it in front of Marty.

We moved slowly, shining three flashlights wildly across the large superstore. Molly and I pushed large heavy carts. We turned down a aisle, Marty tossing bottles of shampoo and soaps into the cart I pushed. Randall tossed a few toothbrushes and boxes of paste in. I continued strolling through the aisle slowly, watching stuff get piled in. Ferris ran off to another aisle, holding a flashlight. I stopped in my tracks waiting for him to come back.

Molly pulled my arm leading me back towards the front of the store. Ferris ran back to our side, dumping a few bottle of aspirin in the cart. We carefully made our way to the front. Marty ducked out of the store, nodding for Randall and Ferris to lift the cart out the door.

The trunk was being filled quickly. "We'll go back in and grab food and be done." Molly said, pulling the trunk closed. I leaned against the car, looking at the leaves under my feet. Plans were being constructed by the rest of the group.

A loud groan broke out from the distance. I looked up, to my brothers and sister. They continued their argument, not hearing the corpse lingering in the distance. I looked around, moving the bat up. I spun around, trying to see where it was. I moved away from the dim light of the car, letting my eyes adjust to the darkness. It stood near a car, slowly stumbling closer to the light and voices.

I took a deep breath, looking at the flesh starting to rot on it's face. I moved closer, watching it notice me, changing it's direction. I stood still allowing it to move closer. My chest shook with fear. I swung the bat, bashing the knees. The rotter fell over, struggling to stand back up. I swung the bat again, cracking it against the rotter's head.

Blood splattered against me. I closed my eyes and my mouth, trying to not breath it in. I brought the bat down once again, watching the corpse fall down finally dead.

I pushed my long hair out of my face, wiping tears and blood off with my sweater sleeve. A loud groan escaped the air. I turned, letting a loud yelp out.

I swung the bat, knocking the corpse over. His long arm reached out, brushing against my calf. A loud blast caused me to stumble back. I looked over at Randall, his hands holding out a gun. The monster fell dead.

"What the hell are you doing?" He reached out, pulling on my arm leading me back to my family near the car. I yanked my arm away, walking back by myself.

Molly shook her head, pointing to the car. I climbed in, being surrounded by Randall and Marty. Ferris and Molly climbed in, quickly driving us back to the house in silence. The ride was longer without Marty trying to fight everyone in the car.

We turned around a corner, the house visible in the moon light. "You could have gotten killed." Molly threw the words out.

"But I didn't." The car moved into the driveway, shutting off.

Marty got out of the car, lighting a cigarette. "Should've stopped at a gas station too." He light the end, breathing in smoke. I climbed out, rushing back to the house. I climbed up the fence, pulling myself onto the roof. I pushed the window to Molly and I's room open, climbing into the room. I laid down on my bed, kicking my shoes off.