Chapter 20. Winona. Day 104.

Ferris exited the building, rounding the corner. I waited patiently for the rest of my remaining family to return. Marty and Randall made their way towards the car, their arms carrying large cartons of cigarettes.

"She wasn't in there." Ferris pushed the words out. Randall looked at him as he put the cigarette packs in the trunk of the car.

My mom climbed out of the car, "She's around here, somewhere, we have to find her."

"Mom, we're not going to find her. They're hours away from here by now." Marty whispered.

"We're not leaving without looking." I forced the words out, grabbing a gun from the seat of the car.

"Okay, we'll look." Ferris blurted. "Mom come with Marty and I. Randall can watch Winona. He's a better shot."

My mom nodded, grabbing a gun from the car. "Let's go." They made their way slowly down the road, turning out of my view. I moved back into the car. Randall moving into the driver seat.

He turned the key of the car, listening to it start. His thin hands pulled his phone out of his pocket, opening the center console, and pulling out two cords. He plugged his phone in, looking at the forgotten charging symbol pop onto the screen. He plugged in the aux chord, waiting a few minutes before turning the phone on.

"What are you trying to do?" I asked, leaning forward in the seat to look at the phone.

He turned on a song, setting the phone down to keep charging. "This."

"As we wake up in your room, your face is the first thing I see." The speakers in the car sang out softly.

"Are they going to come back?" I asked the older boy.

He nodded, "Yeah, Ferris and Marty know what they're doing."

I shook my head, "No, those people." Fear lived in my voice.

He remained silent for a moment. "No, I don't think they will."

"Is Molly dead?" I pushed the words out like the last breath of a dying soul.

Randall continued facing towards the road. "I don't know."

I nodded, looking at the dirty car. "Are you okay?"

He pushed his glasses up, moving to look in the rear view mirror. His small fingers moved to push his nose ring into place. "Yeah, why wouldn't I be?"

I shrugged, thinking about the events of the past few hours. "Because you killed someone."

He turned around to face me his lips moving apart, "It's a kill or be killed kinda world now. I made that decision."

I moved back in my seat thinking about it. "Why did they make that decision?"

He moved his head to rest on the chair. "We have food, guns, a car. They wanted it."

"They should've just taken our shit and left." I whispered. He nodded, pulling a cigarette out of a small box in his lap. He made a lighter flick to life. I grabbed phone from the center console scrolling through the music he had. My finger pressed a button listening to the old song.