Chapter 11. Randall. Day 53.

I sat under the smoldering sun, my shoulders growing red and sore. I looked at the map, tracing the blue pen circle near the paper coast, overlapping onto the blue paper ocean. Ferris and his dad crowded under the hood of the car trying to fix something on his old Civic.

Marty sat in the dead car, blowing smoke out of his lungs. The door hung open. His hands tapped lightly against his jean cover legs, creating a soft rhythm. His mouth formed the words to the song, only blowing out smoke.

"Mom!" Winona's voice shouted from the large car. I looked over my shoulder, seeing blood running down her face, dripping onto her shirt.

Her mom turned, looking at the youngest child. "Marty, what'd you do?"

He looked up from his daze, noticing the blood covering his sister. "Shit, what happened?"

"I just got a bloody nose." Winona's voice pushed out the words, as she leaned forward, dripping blood onto the asphalt.

Marty pulled the glove box open, passing some napkins to his sister. I folded the map up, tucking it back into the large car. I sat on the pavement near Marty, watching as he went back to his imaginary drumming.

"Man, what if everyone is dead?" He forced the words out, continuing to drum.

I shrugged, not really knowing what to say. "I doubt it. Eight billion people dead in less than 2 months. Except for the seven of us idiots."

"Yeah, I guess you're right." He didn't sound convinced. He stopped his drumming. "What if it doesn't get better?"

"I don't know, I've never survived an apocalypse before." I pulled a cigarette out of my shirt pocket. The smoke was harsh on my lungs.

Ferris' car roared to life. I stood up, crawling into the car. Marty closed his door, rolling his window down as the car began to move. The radio faded in, picking up where it'd stopped.

"There's a town a bit up the road, we should stop there for water, and try to find a new battery." I explained from the backseat. Ferris, nodded.

I took another drag off the cigarette, moving to lay in the back, listening to the music pouring from the speakers.