Chapter 21. Marty. Day 104.

I stumbled further down the street, struggling to breathe. Ferris turned back to look at me. I moved my hand to wipe away sweat beading on my forehead, peeling off flakes of died blood.

"Marty, you should go back to the car." My brother turned walking backwards as he spoke to me.

I shook my head, reaching into the pocket of my flannel, pulling out an inhaler. "I'm fine. - Maybe they're - in here." I took deep inhales, pointing to an abandoned Walgreens.

Ferris nodded, moving closer to the broken glass doors. We moved in slowly, holding out guns up high. Our mom followed closely behind us.

I grabbed a few belts off a stand, tossing them over my shoulder. The stands in the aisles had been raided almost clean. "There's no one in here Marty." My mom spit the words out at me.

"I did say maybe." I turned back to look at her.

"Why did we even listen to you." She moved the gun in her arms up. The barrel pointed to the ceiling now.

Ferris pushed her gun down. "We're out here because you and Winona wouldn't leave without looking. Everyone else knows if they probably ditched the car to throw us off. They could be miles away by now."

"I'm going back to the car." I sighed, turning towards the exit. I heard them shuffle to move after me.

I walked slowly through the street, looking at the changed world around us. Nothing was illuminate with business, no cars hurrying down the road or voices making small talk.

Instead everything was dirty and knocked over, abandoned halfway through use. Windows and doors were broken, the street littered with blood and cars. I turned down another road, looking at the mess of the city. The car remained parked in it's spot. I moved closer seeing my remaining sister and friend talking inside.

I pulled the door open, climbing in to sit in the front seat with my best friend. I pulled the sun shield down, opening the mirror to look at myself. Blood and cuts covered my face.

"Where are we going now?" Randall asked, seeing the remnants of my family round the corner towards us.

A soft whisper broke from the back of the car. "I want to go to the beach. Can we, please?" I turned to look at Winona, seeing her struggle to pull her long hair into a ponytail.

The door opened, allowing Ferris and my mom to slide into the car in silence.