Chapter 44. Winona. Day 178.

"Get up, we're leaving." Ferris whispered to me. I sat up, looking around the quiet and dark gym.

It was cold, most of the fires having gone out a while ago. I grabbed my backpack, standing up quietly. I shoved my cold toes into my shoes, walking quietly towards my brothers and mom.

Our voices were soft whispers in the large gym. "We need a gun." Marty reminded Ferris.

I shook my head, pulling my hair into a ponytail, "That's too dangerous. We'll find more guns out there, we have before."

"But we need a gun right now. What if there's ten rotters outside the front door." Marty hissed at me.

I shrugged, my voice shaking as it came out, "We'll come back inside and find a new way out."

Ferris shook his head, "No, Martin's right. I'll go do it." He walked away, out of my adjusted field of vision. I held my breath, listening to the loud snores and coughs of the sleeping group.

"Are you leaving?" A tired voice asked under their breathe behind me. I turned around, looking at a woman not much older than Molly. "Please, it's not safe here, with them." Her voice was dripping with hate as she mentioned the men in charge.

I nodded, not knowing what to say to make her shut up. "You have to be quiet."

She nodded, picking up her backpack and blanket. I moved near my brother and his friend, looking around the room.

Ferris returned, holding a large shotgun. "Lets go." He whispered. Everyone quietly moved across the gym, our legs moving over sleeping bodies, some tossing over on the uncomfortable polished wood floor.

A hand grabbed my leg. My heart stopped. I turned back looking at the dark body. My eyes squinted trying to make out the person. Kennon. I moved down to whisper to him.

"You're leaving?" He sounded shocked and hurt. His hand moved to touch my arm, gently holding it.

I nodded, looking as everyone made it to the door. "Get up." I pulled on his arm. "You have to come with us."

He stood up, nodding his head. He grabbing his backpack off the floor, a loud thud suddenly echoing. He grabbed something off the floor, rushing away. I moved quickly after him, dancing around the sleeping bodies.

"Where are you two going?" A voice shouted. I watched my family duck down near the doors. Marty laid down, pulling his backpack under his head to mimic sleeping.

I looked around quickly, as a few more people woke up, rubbing their eyes of sleep. I opened my mouth, trying to think of an excuse, anything to explain.

"She's a little young for you kid." A different voice rang out. A familiar one. A sickening one. "But I guess if young virgins are your thing, go for it."

I looked to Kennon seeing his mouth curl into a frown. His hands balled into a fist.

"Where were you planning on taking her, was it going to be romantic? Or is the time for any of that dead, were you just going to plow her?" He stood up, walking closer to us. "Tell me, what do you have your backpacks for? Got some kinky stuff in there for her?"

A scream escaped someone's lungs, "They're leaving!" Victor turned around, looking at the open door.

Kennon moved his entire body, his leg kicking the man in front of us down. I ran for the door, seeing a few others do the same. Kennon pushed me forward, through the door frame.