Chapter 9. Winona. Day 48.

I sat on top of the car, looking at the horizon. My sister's back was pressed against mine, watching the other direction. I looked away briefly checking the area around my brothers.

Ferris yanked a car door open, digging around outside. He placed a few cans on the roof, along with a few other items I couldn't make out from here. Marty was connecting a hose into the gas tank. I could see him and Randall argue over who was going to start it. I looked back to the road ahead.

"Shut up, Marty! You're such an ass." I looked back at Randall, he was standing away, spitting. He wiped his mouth off, turning back to my brother. I looked back to Ferris watching as he brought the supplies back to us. Marty stood up, grabbing the hose and the red container, lugging them back to the car. Randall looked around, holding a knife in his hand.

"We should keep looking for stuff. There's a lot out here still, and we should get all that we can." Ferris said loudly, for my parents to hear. He loaded the stuff into the larger car, bringing some of it to his car.

"I think we should get out of here as fast as possible. It could be dangerous out here on the highway." My mom pointed out. She brought a few cans of food over to us, setting them down on the hood of the car.

My father walked up beside her, his head shaking, "No, we need to get all of this stuff. There's seven of us, we'll go through food and water fast. Keep looking." He set a large gun on the hood of the car beside the canned goods. I continued looking at the horizon, scanning the road between us and there.

"Both the cars and the containers are full." Marty set the heavy red gasoline carrier down, leaning against the car to catch his breath. Ferris walked back to a car, pulling the door open. He stumbled back, slashing a knife into someone's rotting head. The body fell back, slumping against the car. My eldest brother pushed it away, focusing back on the car.

Randall and Marty walked towards a car slowly, pulling the doors open and digging around inside. I glanced back at the cars in the distance, seeing a few rotters stumbling towards us. I jerked my shoulder back to grab Molly's attention and pointed to the three clumsy corpses.

She moved to be beside me, aiming the gun at them. "Marty, look up." She shouted. He looked up from the small bag he was digging through, noticing the rotter. He grabbed the bag, shoving a few things in it quickly. He stood up, saying something into the old beat up car. He closed the door, quickly moving towards us. He set the stuff inside the car, looking at the group moving closer to the car.

"What the fuck?" Marty whispered, jumping the median again to move back towards the car. A rotter beat him to it, pressing against the glass, trying desperately to reach Randall inside.

I looked back up for the rest of the rotters, seeing a few dozen more making their way down the street. "Marty, get back." I shouted to him.

Instead he ran down the street, stabbing his knife into the head of the corpse. He yanked the passenger side door, letting Randall climb out. The crowd reached them, piling against the car. Marty ran, through the cars, tripping and falling.

He climbed up, swinging a car door open behind him, stopping them. He limped closer to us, climbing quickly over the median. Randall had pulled the door open to Ferris' car. The two crawled in, followed by Ferris.

A deep sigh escaped from Molly. She immediately gasped, her mouth forming quick words. "Where's Mom and Dad?"