Chapter 15. Winona. Day 77.

"Is this just going to be out new home?" I asked my dad. He shrugged, looking at the weak fence covering parts of the perimeter of the cabin.

I looked over at Ferris, sitting on the porch steps. His upper arm was wrapped up in bandages. His hands held a large gun. "I think the people who owned this place used it for hunting trips. It's got a lot of gun inside, and it's pretty secluded." My dad started walking away.

"Is that good?" I followed after him.

He nodded. "The guns are. It'll be hard to get food though if the animals are getting eaten too. It's a long trip into town, and when those supplies are wiped out, it'll be further."

"So just for a little while." I nodded, running back towards the cabin. I rushed up the stairs, past my brother, avoiding him. I ran inside, finding my mom washing some clothes in a sink.

Molly was beside her helping, her coppery blonde hair pulled into a messy bun. I pushed a door open rushing into a room. I sat down, pulling my backpack off, tearing the zipper open. I pulled out a notebook, making another tally in the book. I flipped to a the next blank page.

"What's up?" Randall asked from behind me. I turned around. He was pulling his shirt over his head. I looked to the bed, seeing his and Marty's bags spilled across the top.

I stood up, grabbing my stuff off the floor. "I'm sorry."

"It's fine, I don't mind." He looked at me shyly.

I could feel my cheeks start to burn. I pulled the door back open, moving back to the hallway. I pushed my book back into my bag, setting it down beside the couch.

There was a loud crash from outside. I walked slowly to the front door seeing two corpses stumble closer to our camp. My dad fired a shot at one, knocking it down. My brothers pulled up their guns firing them at the remaining rotter.

"They came from the river." Ferris yelled towards the others.

"Gloria's at the river getting more water." Molly shouted behind me.

Marty and my dad took off running towards the river, hardly reaching the treeline when a woman emerged, carrying a large container of water. She stumbled back, looking at the two.

"I heard gunshots." She yelled at them.

My dad shook his head, looking around as another rotter shuffled through the trees. "It's not safe here, they're in the forest, being drawn in by the guns. We've already wasted too many bullets here alone. We should move on, tomorrow."

Silence overwhelmed everyone as we all moved closer to Gloria and my father. "I won't leave. This is the safest Chloe and I have been since Sacramento."

"Gloria, you can come with us." My mom grabbed her arm.

The black woman shook her head, "No, I'm staying. I'll fix the fence, I'll make it work. I won't make it on the road with a toddler."