Chapter 26. Winona. Day 135.

*TW*

I sat in my chair, unable to focus on the pointless lesson on sentence structure. I looked down at the table, at my blank paper and sharpened pencil.

My head jerked back, my long hair being yanked. I spun around looking at the boy sitting behind me. I pulled my hair away from his hands, pulling it over my shoulder. "Don't have such long hair. The monsters will get it." He wrapped his hand around my thin arm, pulling it closer to him.

"Don't touch her." The girl beside me stood up, pushing her fist into his nose. He flew back in his seat, clasping his face.

A scream echoed from the small room. "What's happening?" The teacher rushed over. "Are you bleeding?" She asked the kid with his grabby hands around his bruised nose.

I looked at the scratch marks on my arm, bubbling over with blood. I stood up, leaving the small conference room. The door opened after me, the violent girl following me.

"Are you okay? Your arm is bleeding." She asked, moving closer to me.

I shrugged. "I'm fine." I rubbed my hand against the blood, smearing it across my arm. The front door opened, the metal a loud alarm. I looked over to the three walking through the doors. The twins, walked through with another kid a little older than Marty. Ferris walked slowly behind them. I walked closer to them, waiting for Marty and Randall. The door began closing.

Ferris grabbed me, wrapping me into a hug. "Where's Marty?" I whispered. He moved away, his lip beginning to tremble. "Where's Randall, Ferris what happened?" I pushed my bloody arms into his side.

"I tried, but there was so many of them." He began to cry.

Tears leaked out of my eyes. I turned around, running to the stair case. I ran into the stairwell, looking at the metal frame, wrapping around, going higher and higher. I leaned over, feeling my stomach turning. My weak knees crumpled below me, colliding with the cement flooring.

"Please Marty, I really have to pee. I don't want to go to mom and dad's room." I knocked on the door again, my stomach beginning to ache.

Ferris opened his bedroom door, looking at me confused. "Are you okay?" He whispered in the quiet house.

I shook my head, shifting my weight on my feet. "I have to pee and Marty won't get out of the bathroom. He went in there like 30 minutes ago."

"What?" His voice sounded panicked. He rushed to my side, turning the door knob rapidly. "Martin? Answer me."

He forcefully pushed his shoulder against the door. "You're going to break the door." I pushed on his side, watching as the door burst open, cracking the frame around it. He stumbled back, gripping his arm in pain. I rushed into the dark bathroom, flipping on the light.

A loud scream escaped my lungs. "Marty!" I fell to my knees, looking at the red tinted bath. I reached into the cool water, pulling his arms out. I wrapped my small hands around his bloody wrist, trying to pool some of the blood, hoping it'd go back into his body

"Fuck!" Ferris whispered, moving against the wall. A picture frame fell to the floor. "Dad!" He screamed.

My arm knocked over the large bottle of vodka resting on the edge of the tub, shattering it against the tile. I screamed again, feeling tears running down my face. "Please fucking stay." The words escaped my mouth.

Feet ran up the stairs, pushing the door open again. "No, Marty!" My dad fell to the ground, pulling Marty out of the water.

"My brother tried to kill himself." I turned to Ferris, seeing him sobbing onto the phone. "He's 14. He slit his wrist in the bathtub." He choked out, pulling the phone away from his ear. "Winona, move your hand really fast."

I pulled my hand away seeing blood drip on my legs. "Across, he cut across." Ferris screamed. I clasped my hand back onto his wrists.

He cried into the phone, sobbing our address to the person on the other side. Sirens screamed down the street, stopping in front of the house.

Someone let them in. I couldn't make out any distinct noise except the song looping on the radio. Someone pulled my brother to the hallway, their hands pressing into his chest. They moved him onto his side, vomit pouring out of his mouth. Ferris moved to my side, pulling me closer to him.

"Today is the greatest day, I have ever known." The song called out. I felt myself choking. I pulled away from my brother, running out of the bathroom, following the stretcher out of the house. People stood on their front yards, watching as the ambulance pulled away from the house.