Chapter 53. Winona. Day 369.

I sat on the top of the slide. The cold red plastic freezing my skin through my jeans. I looked at everyone working in the park to get the tents up and in place. The soccer field had become our campsite. I pushed myself down the slide, my hips catching on the sides of the playground toy. My feet hit the ground, slamming my body to a stop. I walked slowly through the crowds of people, finding my brothers near my mom.

She sat quietly on a bench, sipping from a nearly empty bottle of water. I sat beside Ferris, watching him shove a few animal crackers towards me. I carefully grabbed them, slowly savoring the dry, bland, cardboard texture.

The small crowd slowly diminished inside of their tents. I watched my mom stand up, steadying herself on the table. She stumbled across the dark, disappearing from my sight.

I took a breath, holding it as long as I could. I looked up at the stars, my view being blocked by the roof over us. I looked back down, letting the air out.

Ferris stood up, leaving to find someone or something, abandoning me with my other brother. Marty moved his hand closer to me, holding something out. A few saltine crackers, unbroken, individually wrapped.

I looked back up at him, trying to see his face. He tossed them into my lap, looking back at the park.

I pulled the wrapper open on one, taking small, careful bites off the salty carbs. He pushed a small box towards me. I grabbed it looking it over, a small straw was glued to the back. Big Bird stood on the other side of the box, holding some letter blocks. Fruit Punch.

I stabbed the straw through the small metal sheet covered hole, rushing to taste the processed fake fruit flavoring. I swished the juice in my mouth, washing down the crackers.

I looked to my brother, seeing him watching me. He nodded, pulling out a bent cigarette, smoothing out the thin paper. He light it, casting a smoke over the gazebo. I tried to pace myself, realizing that took self control, and chugging the rest of the juice box.

I stood up, pushing the last two crackers back towards him. I stood up, walking back to my tent in silence, listening to the bugs outside. I unzipped the tent, crawling into the small space. I turned finding someone sitting in the space belonging to my mom.

Randall moved his finger to his mouth, telling me to be quiet. He held something out to me. I moved closer, grabbing the headphone.

"In the end, we weren't much, but the hollow space shank down inside of all of us."

I laid down on my makeshift bed of blankets, towels and a sleeping bag, leaving as much room for him as I could.

He moved to lay beside me, wrapping his arm around me.