Chapter 51. Marty. Day 367.

Author's note: The song for this chapter is supposed to be Honesty by Postcards but like they hate that album and have removed any trace of it from the internet so I am deeply sorry. Maybe hum a song you like and pretend it applies to this chapter, IDK fend for yourself. 

I set the last basket of soaking supplies down, looking at my brother. He sat in one of the seats of the abandoned school bus. He held his finger up, asking for a minute.

I looked outside as the sky flashed brightly. "We're a good run from the house Nona and Randall are at."

"Lets give it a minute and see if it lightens up." My brother asked, coughing into his elbow.

I nodded, sitting beside him. The rain hit the windows of the bus, the cool interior echoing with the sound. The bus seats were uncomfortable, some torn with wear, doodles stained the backs of others.

Lightening flashed again, shadows covering the sidewalk outside. I turned to look out the small window, catching another bright burst. Bodies lingered outside the bus. I moved to the dirty floor of the bus, watching my older brother do the same.

I held the gun close, hearing a rotter hit the side of the bus, another joining in. "What do we do?" Ferris whispered

I looked up, shrugging, "How would I know?"

He shook his head, holding his gun tightly, wincing at every rotting hand hitting the bus. Another loud crack echoed, pulling some of their attention away. Their collective groans built up into one loud roar, grumbling from the other side of the the thick metal frame around me.

"I don't think the rain is going to let up." Ferris broke the long silence.

I let out a small laugh, listening to the thunder, "Probably not."

Another loud crack hit. The decaying fists, paused before continuing.

"I never thought I'd die with you." My brother whispered

I turned back to him, "Okay but like, I doubt we'll die. You might get a scraped knee, but I won't let you die."

"I thought I was supposed to say something like that to you and Winona." He whispered back, his voice sounding defeated.

I shrugged, "It's also more of a team effort to make sure we all don't die."

Thunder struck again, creating another light delay in the fists hitting the bus. I crawled to the first row, looking at the clear side of the bus. I waved for Ferris to follow me. We sat against the cold metal ground, waiting for the next flash of lightening.

It finally came, I jumped to my feet, sliding to the ground. My arm reached out, pulling a lever down. I grabbed Ferris' outstretched arm pulling myself up. He pushed the glass door open, running down the street.

The rain hit my face, making strands of my hair stick to face, some moving into my mouth. I looked over my shoulder, seeing the bus rolling down the street. "Ferris, stop." I pointed, watching him turn.

The rotters moved with the bus, some of them falling over at the top of a hill. The bus rolled down, moving out of my sight. "I- I didn't mean to. Ferris," I turned to face my brother, "I didn't mean to, I just slipped. I-"

He stood still, looking at the empty road. "What are you talking about," He looked back to me, "The storm and the rotters moved the bus."

I nodded, following him back to a house. He pushed the door open, looking around. "I thought they said this one."

I looked around the messy house. A wet jacket dripped from its spot on the banister. A pair of once brightly coloured socks sat surrounded by small puddles on the floor.

I moved past my brother, up the stairs. I pushed a door open, looking at clothes drying on the bathtub. I pushed another door open, hearing the door knob break a hole into the wall.

"Are you shitting me?" I felt the words come up like acid.

Randall's hands pushed my sister away from him. His hand moved to cover his mouth as he sat up.