Chapter 10. Marty. Day 48.

I looked back at the road behind us, knowing they were still back there somewhere. "You gotta go circle back and find them. They're our parents. Molly doesn't have the keys."

"I'm trying." He started the car turning around. He rolled his window down to see Molly and Winona. They opened the door. "I'm going back a bit to see if I can find Dad before they do."

I pulled the leg of my jeans up, looking at the bruise forming around my ankle. I looked back up trying to hear my sister. I pulled a cigarette out, flicking a lighter to life. The flame touched the tip of the cigarette quickly.

The car began moving again. I rolled the window down, looking through the stretch of abandoned cars. Ferris slammed on the breaks, yelling through the open windows. "Mom, get in the car. Where's Dad?"

Our mom spun around, holding a large hunting knife in her hands. Our dad crawled out of a car, pulling her towards us. They jumped over the median, seeing the crowd of corpses moving closer. They quickly crawled in, the corpses running into the median as we pulled away.

The car pulled over near the white family SUV. My parents crawled out. My dad stopped, looking back through the open door, "Ferris, Marty, our car. Randall just follow us, with Winona.

"No, Mom. I don't want to be in the other car." Winona whined as Molly crawled out to let her escape.

"Dad, why?" I asked, shoving the half cigarette into Randall's hands. I climbed out, switching vehicles.

The car pulled away, driving quickly down the empty highway. I sat between my older siblings, trying to find comfort in the crowded car. My parents remained quiet in the front seat.

"So when do we start singing Kumbaya?" I threw the sarcastic words out.

Our dad sighed, "Marty, shut up."

"Okay, pull over. I'm getting back in the other car. Molly, move." I unbuckled my sister's seat belt, moving so she could switch me spots.

She grabbed the flying seat belt, clicking it back into place. "Stop it, Marty. You're such a kid."

I looked at the much older girl. "Okay, but like I'm fifteen, what did you expect?"

"Marty, just stop being an ass. We're going to your grandparent's house. If they're alive, they'll be there. Worse case, we can stay there until things get better. We'll be stopping every two hours." My dad shouted to us. He pulled the car over. I rushed to open the door, reaching across Molly. He turned around looking at me. "Don't kill yourself."

"Watch out for your little sister." My mom shouted at me as I crawled out. Winona climbed out of the other car, rushing to take Ferris' spot.

I opened the door, taking the passenger seat. Ferris climbed into the backseat, laying down the best he could. He reached into the pocket of his jacket, pulling out something. He pointed to the glove box, "You'll never guess what I found in a car."

I pulled it open, seeing a large bag of green plant buds. I turned to look at my older brother. "Just found it in a car?"

He nodded, handing me a lighter. I grabbed the blue and green glass pipe from the glove box, packing some weed inside. I flicked the lighter to life, taking a deep inhale of the smoke.